British rappers like Dizzee Rascal and the Streets may have trouble getting respect here in America, and rightly so – but we must bow to British folkies: For once, we appropriated their music rather than the other way around. Rusby is at the top of a group of young artists revitalizing the U.K. folk scene, and while less fusion-minded than peers like Eliza Carthy or Thea Gilmore, she’s more pure singer than any of them, and her ability to write originals that sound 300 years old is remarkable. Her latest is fetching as usual, especially when pal Eddi Reader drops in on harmony. A few more nods to the 20th and 21st centuries would be nice (past covers of songs by Richard Thompson and Iris DeMent have been standouts), but soaking in her wonder of a voice is a timeless pleasure. MUSICAL GODMOTHERS Records by 1960s British folk revivalists Anne Briggs and Shirley Collins (see the recently released Within Sound boxed set) are a good – nay, great – introduction to Rusby’s world.
Underneath the Stars British rappers like Dizzee Rascal and the Streets may have trouble getting respect here in America, and rightly so -- but we must bow to British...Underneath the StarsFolk British rappers like Dizzee Rascal and the Streets may have trouble getting respect here in America, and rightly so -- but we must bow to British...2003-12-19
Genre: Folk; Lead Performer: Kate Rusby; Producer (group): Compass
Posted December 19 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!