If a smile doesn’t spring to your lips the moment you hit play, check your vital signs immediately. In Best of the Muppet Show, the three latest installments to debut on DVD, our furry friends, along with guest stars Steve Martin, Carol Burnett, and Gilda Radner, remind us that this really is ”the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational” show. On top of the always clever antics of Kermit and his puppet posse, you’ve got rats dancing the cancan, pigs dressed as Eskimos crooning ”The Lullaby of Broadway,” and the Flying Zucchini Brothers bursting out of cannons – rendering the spectacle all the more ”Muppet”-tastic. EXTRAS An introduction by creator Jim Henson’s son Brian offers a few fun facts about each segment (such as that the writers won their first Emmy for the Burnett episode); otherwise, an early drawing of Beaker from 1977 is as exciting as it gets. But the treat of seeing Gilda again makes this DVD a first-rate pleasure.
Posted December 23 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jimmy Kimmel's Christmas Wall could get you through the holidays
- John Krasinski to narrate Disney nature film 'Born in China'
- 'Fresh Off the Boat': Rich Blomquist praises the casting, condemns Tamagotchis
- Why Chris Pratt retired his go-to karaoke song
- Meyers' writers take on black Santa in Jokes Seth Can't Tell segment
- Donald Trump is TIME's Person of the Year
- Ryan Adams announces new album and releases first song
- 17 Star-Studded Celebrity Cookbooks
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem