If a smile doesn’t spring to your lips the moment you hit play, check your vital signs immediately. In Best of the Muppet Show, the three latest installments to debut on DVD, our furry friends, along with guest stars Steve Martin, Carol Burnett, and Gilda Radner, remind us that this really is ”the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational” show. On top of the always clever antics of Kermit and his puppet posse, you’ve got rats dancing the cancan, pigs dressed as Eskimos crooning ”The Lullaby of Broadway,” and the Flying Zucchini Brothers bursting out of cannons – rendering the spectacle all the more ”Muppet”-tastic. EXTRAS An introduction by creator Jim Henson’s son Brian offers a few fun facts about each segment (such as that the writers won their first Emmy for the Burnett episode); otherwise, an early drawing of Beaker from 1977 is as exciting as it gets. But the treat of seeing Gilda again makes this DVD a first-rate pleasure.
Posted December 23 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Reese Witherspoon developing movie about Barbie creator, with an eye to star
- Casting Net: Alicia Vikander joins James McAvoy in romantic thriller
- The Avengers get rom-com treatment in remix video
- Superman unmasks Batman in new sneak peek from 'Dawn of Justice'
- J.J. Abrams says screening 'Force Awakens' for Disney bosses was 'horrifying'
- 'Flash'-'Arrow' bosses & cast preview epic crossover with 'Legends of Tomorrow'
- 'Magic Mike' star: 'Channing Tatum does not like me'