Leave it to a dude who writes about toxic germs for a living (”The Hot Zone”) to create a boozy, smelly Santa who’s even more down-and-out than Jimmy Stewart’s George Bailey on the bridge. Nonetheless, the humans in this lovely love story, The Boat of Dreams – a family in desperate need of yuletide spirit after they hear that their patriarch has been killed in Vietnam – are absolutely enchanting. Richard Preston’s slight, slender, and heartfelt tale succeeds in its holiday aim, bringing both a Christmas tear and Christmas cheer.
The Boat of DreamsLeave it to a dude who writes about toxic germs for a living (''The Hot Zone'') to create a boozy, smelly Santa who's even more down-and-out than Jimmy...The Boat of DreamsFictionRichard PrestonLeave it to a dude who writes about toxic germs for a living (''The Hot Zone'') to create a boozy, smelly Santa who's even more down-and-out than Jimmy...2003-12-24
Genre: Fiction; Author: Richard Preston
Posted December 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Lena Dunham opens up about endometriosis in Facebook post
- #OscarsSoWhite: Sylvester Stallone was ready to boycott Academy Awards
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Cuba Gooding Jr. on 'ACS'
- Maroon 5 respond to Taraji P. Henson confusing them with Coldplay
- Rick Rubin is producing a 'Star Wars'-inspired album
- Zayn Malik's 'Pillowtalk' debuts at No. 1
- 'Gotham' exclusive: See first footage of Mr. Freeze, Hugo Strange in action