Leave it to a dude who writes about toxic germs for a living (”The Hot Zone”) to create a boozy, smelly Santa who’s even more down-and-out than Jimmy Stewart’s George Bailey on the bridge. Nonetheless, the humans in this lovely love story, The Boat of Dreams – a family in desperate need of yuletide spirit after they hear that their patriarch has been killed in Vietnam – are absolutely enchanting. Richard Preston’s slight, slender, and heartfelt tale succeeds in its holiday aim, bringing both a Christmas tear and Christmas cheer.
The Boat of DreamsLeave it to a dude who writes about toxic germs for a living (''The Hot Zone'') to create a boozy, smelly Santa who's even more down-and-out than Jimmy...The Boat of DreamsFictionRichard PrestonLeave it to a dude who writes about toxic germs for a living (''The Hot Zone'') to create a boozy, smelly Santa who's even more down-and-out than Jimmy...2003-12-24
Genre: Fiction; Author: Richard Preston
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!