Leave it to a dude who writes about toxic germs for a living (”The Hot Zone”) to create a boozy, smelly Santa who’s even more down-and-out than Jimmy Stewart’s George Bailey on the bridge. Nonetheless, the humans in this lovely love story, The Boat of Dreams – a family in desperate need of yuletide spirit after they hear that their patriarch has been killed in Vietnam – are absolutely enchanting. Richard Preston’s slight, slender, and heartfelt tale succeeds in its holiday aim, bringing both a Christmas tear and Christmas cheer.
The Boat of DreamsLeave it to a dude who writes about toxic germs for a living (''The Hot Zone'') to create a boozy, smelly Santa who's even more down-and-out than Jimmy...The Boat of DreamsFictionRichard PrestonLeave it to a dude who writes about toxic germs for a living (''The Hot Zone'') to create a boozy, smelly Santa who's even more down-and-out than Jimmy...2003-12-24
Genre: Fiction; Author: Richard Preston
Posted December 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Boba Fett finally escapes Tatooine in fan-made trailer
- 'Mr. Robot' creator explains why you were supposed to guess the big twist
- How Soundgarden's Chris Cornell overcame stage fright for new solo set
- 'Contracted: Phase II' director talks about his 'surreal' VMAs experience
- Sneak Peek: Early scoop from EW's Shondaland issue
- Check into 'Oscar’s Hotel' with this exclusive trailer for the Vimeo series
- Shonda Rhimes reveals the shows she wishes she created
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Alessandra Ambrósio, The Kardashians, Malin Akerman & More!