Leave it to a dude who writes about toxic germs for a living (”The Hot Zone”) to create a boozy, smelly Santa who’s even more down-and-out than Jimmy Stewart’s George Bailey on the bridge. Nonetheless, the humans in this lovely love story, The Boat of Dreams – a family in desperate need of yuletide spirit after they hear that their patriarch has been killed in Vietnam – are absolutely enchanting. Richard Preston’s slight, slender, and heartfelt tale succeeds in its holiday aim, bringing both a Christmas tear and Christmas cheer.
The Boat of DreamsLeave it to a dude who writes about toxic germs for a living (''The Hot Zone'') to create a boozy, smelly Santa who's even more down-and-out than Jimmy...The Boat of DreamsFictionRichard PrestonLeave it to a dude who writes about toxic germs for a living (''The Hot Zone'') to create a boozy, smelly Santa who's even more down-and-out than Jimmy...2003-12-24
Genre: Fiction; Author: Richard Preston
Posted December 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Barack Obama slams Donald Trump at DNC: 'We don’t look to be ruled'
- 'Con Man': Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion want a ‘Spectrum’ movie
- See President Obama's DNC intro video, narrated by Bryan Cranston
- Michael Keaton on 'Beetlejuice' sequel: 'It's possible that ship has sailed'
- 'Another Period' guest blog: Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on latest episode
- 'Barely Famous': Sara, Erin Foster on celebrity stalkers, TV industry
- Lenny Kravitz asks to 'Let Love Rule' for DNC performance
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels