As Oprah’s first book club pick, Jacquelyn Mitchard’s ”The Deep End of the Ocean” rocketed to the top of the charts. ”Ocean” was a finely crafted novel that deserved its accolades; Christmas, Present – at a slim 132 pages – is nothing but a sappy attempt to cash in on the lucrative holiday-book market. Elliott and Laura are celebrating their 14th wedding anniversary on Dec. 23 when Laura gets a headache that turns out to be much more than a headache: As the ER doctor bluntly informs them, Laura is hemorrhaging in her brain, and she’s going to die that very night – which she does, as the nurses trill ”Silent Night.” What could have been a three-hankie weeper goes down like leaden, lukewarm eggnog.
Christmas, PresentAs Oprah's first book club pick, Jacquelyn Mitchard's ''The Deep End of the Ocean'' rocketed to the top of the charts. ''Ocean'' was a finely crafted...Christmas, PresentFictionJacquelyn MitchardAs Oprah's first book club pick, Jacquelyn Mitchard's ''The Deep End of the Ocean'' rocketed to the top of the charts. ''Ocean'' was a finely crafted...2003-12-24
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jacquelyn Mitchard
Posted December 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Gloria Steinem's 'My Life on the Road' to hit shelves in October
- Watch Jason Segel channel David Foster Wallace in The End of the Tour trailer
- The Weeknd lives through a car crash in 'The Hills' video
- Vanessa Bayer, Fred Armisen, more appear in new Jenny Lewis video
- Neil Young thought Florence Welch was 'a man with a high voice'
- New 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'?
- Blink-182, Tom DeLonge: 'friendly divorce'
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Ben Affleck, Taylor Swift, the Entourage Guys & More!