Thanks to behind-the-murder shows like ”CSI,” there now exist legions of normal folks-turned-armchair forensics experts. (Duh, Matlock. The stippling on that GSW indicates an execution-style shot.) But there’s still room for amateur sleuths to learn a few things from Dr. Bill Bass, the forensic anthropologist who started the University of Tennessee research facility affectionately known as ”the Body Farm.” In Death’s Acre, an account of his years studying corpses and the clues they leave behind, Dr. Bass uses his folksy humor and extensive knowledge to share the gory details of his day job. And, boy, does he give up the goods – like the time he took a murder victim’s head home and boiled the decomposed flesh off her skull to help identify her. Dr. Bass also kindly offers helpful hints: ”Most people don’t realize how hard it is to consume a body by fire. It sounds like an easy way to get rid of a murder victim, but it’s not.” Duly noted, Doc.
Death's AcreThanks to behind-the-murder shows like ''CSI,'' there now exist legions of normal folks-turned-armchair forensics experts. (Duh, Matlock. The stippling on...Death's AcreNonfictionDr. Bill Bass, Jon JeffersonThanks to behind-the-murder shows like ''CSI,'' there now exist legions of normal folks-turned-armchair forensics experts. (Duh, Matlock. The stippling on...2003-12-31
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Dr. Bill Bass, Jon Jefferson
Posted December 31 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jeff Probst on the players he is surprised did not get voted into 'Survivor'
- Everything you need to know about the 2015 MTV VMAs
- Justin Timberlake and Jonathan Demme are making a 'space age music film'
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!