Set in 1928 at a boozy New York men’s magazine called Bandbox, GQ contributor Mallon’s madcap novel boasts a cast of characters that will look very familiar to media-world insiders. (Bandbox mogul Hi Oldcastle is presumably modeled on Conde Nast’s S.I. Newhouse.) Boisterous Bandbox editor Jehoshaphat Harris, who recognizes that ”what he’d always had in huger measure than anyone else was nerve,” is battling rival Cutaway’s Jimmy Gordon, his erstwhile protege. Gordon has planted a spy among Harris’ staff and a plagiarized story in Bandbox’s pages. Already rococo, the plot goes seriously haywire when a naive Bandbox reader arrives from Indiana and is promptly kidnapped. Unraveling the mystery, and seeing which publication gets the scoop, is about as fulfilling as one of those subscription cards that falls out of this, or any other, magazine.
Bandbox Set in 1928 at a boozy New York men's magazine called Bandbox, GQ contributor Mallon's madcap novel boasts a cast of characters that will look very...BandboxFictionThomas Mallon Set in 1928 at a boozy New York men's magazine called Bandbox, GQ contributor Mallon's madcap novel boasts a cast of characters that will look very...2004-01-09
Genre: Fiction; Author: Thomas Mallon
Posted January 9 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Andy Samberg provides Emmys hashtags #freepizza(no)
- Watch the MTV VMAs with EW's drinking game
- Fan theory suggests the Joker was hero of 'The Dark Knight'
- Everything Hannibal wore on 'Hannibal'
- Jeff Probst on the players he is surprised did not get voted into 'Survivor'
- Justin Timberlake and Jonathan Demme are making a 'space age music film'
- Everything you need to know about the 2015 MTV VMAs
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!