Set in 1928 at a boozy New York men’s magazine called Bandbox, GQ contributor Mallon’s madcap novel boasts a cast of characters that will look very familiar to media-world insiders. (Bandbox mogul Hi Oldcastle is presumably modeled on Conde Nast’s S.I. Newhouse.) Boisterous Bandbox editor Jehoshaphat Harris, who recognizes that ”what he’d always had in huger measure than anyone else was nerve,” is battling rival Cutaway’s Jimmy Gordon, his erstwhile protege. Gordon has planted a spy among Harris’ staff and a plagiarized story in Bandbox’s pages. Already rococo, the plot goes seriously haywire when a naive Bandbox reader arrives from Indiana and is promptly kidnapped. Unraveling the mystery, and seeing which publication gets the scoop, is about as fulfilling as one of those subscription cards that falls out of this, or any other, magazine.
Bandbox Set in 1928 at a boozy New York men's magazine called Bandbox, GQ contributor Mallon's madcap novel boasts a cast of characters that will look very...BandboxFictionThomas Mallon Set in 1928 at a boozy New York men's magazine called Bandbox, GQ contributor Mallon's madcap novel boasts a cast of characters that will look very...2004-01-09
Genre: Fiction; Author: Thomas Mallon
Posted January 9 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Ghostbusters' new car: Paul Feig reveals #whattheygonnadrive
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- 'American Idol Live!' tour photos: Let's go backstage!
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!