If you think the title’s batty, try this for a chapter opener: ”The squad was somewhat perturbed. One might even say they were quite blaxitomed!” Is the 77-year-old McBain losing his mind? As his wiseacre and battle-scarred omniscient narrator might say: Don’t bet your fried corn husk on it, Gertie. The 53rd entry in the 87th Precinct series is top-dollar McBain, as funny and adroit as his last couple, but old-school edgier. What a joy to watch these same characters at work after 47 years, this time investigating the harbor-yacht kidnapping of a Beyonce-like pop star. Imagine your favorite Law & Order cast solving fresh mysteries into infinity, with no reruns, and you have some sense of McBain’s grand, ongoing accomplishment.
The Frumious Bandersnatch If you think the title's batty, try this for a chapter opener: ''The squad was somewhat perturbed. One might even say they were quite blaxitomed!'' Is...The Frumious BandersnatchMystery and ThrillerEd McBain If you think the title's batty, try this for a chapter opener: ''The squad was somewhat perturbed. One might even say they were quite blaxitomed!'' Is...2004-01-09
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Author: Ed McBain
Posted January 9 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Adam McKay recounts how Johnny Depp agreed to play Trump
- See Adele photobomb fans in 'Live in London' concert special
- Ben Stiller on the death of his mother, Anne Meara: 'It affects me constantly'
- Paul Rudd & Steve Coogan to play a couple in 'An Ideal Home'
- Chris Rock brings the wine for a Shondaland Oscars in new promos
- Betty White gives 'Deadpool' four 'Golden Girls' in profanity-filled review
- Kanye West tweets about ‘The Life of Pablo’ delay