If you think the title’s batty, try this for a chapter opener: ”The squad was somewhat perturbed. One might even say they were quite blaxitomed!” Is the 77-year-old McBain losing his mind? As his wiseacre and battle-scarred omniscient narrator might say: Don’t bet your fried corn husk on it, Gertie. The 53rd entry in the 87th Precinct series is top-dollar McBain, as funny and adroit as his last couple, but old-school edgier. What a joy to watch these same characters at work after 47 years, this time investigating the harbor-yacht kidnapping of a Beyonce-like pop star. Imagine your favorite Law & Order cast solving fresh mysteries into infinity, with no reruns, and you have some sense of McBain’s grand, ongoing accomplishment.
The Frumious Bandersnatch If you think the title's batty, try this for a chapter opener: ''The squad was somewhat perturbed. One might even say they were quite blaxitomed!'' Is...The Frumious BandersnatchMystery and ThrillerEd McBain If you think the title's batty, try this for a chapter opener: ''The squad was somewhat perturbed. One might even say they were quite blaxitomed!'' Is...2004-01-09
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Author: Ed McBain
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Steve Taylor & The Perfect Foil take us to the roller disco with their 'Moonshot' video -- exclusive
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Which character has the worst luck?
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- Q&A: J.K. Rowling bibliographer Philip W. Errington tells us even more Harry Potter secrets
- The Winklevii will have a cameo on 'Silicon Valley'
- Masi Oka's Hiro Nakamura will return for 'Heroes Reborn'
- Drea de Matteo loses apartment in fire
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!