”The original thing about this film is that the acting is only one strand of a three-stranded piece,” says British actress Justine Waddell (above, with Michael Weatherly), 27, of Peter Bogdanovich’s The Mystery of Natalie Wood, in which she plays the late screen icon. Airing in March on ABC, the biopic combines original photos, interviews with such peers as West Side Story’s George Chakiris, and reenactments of Wood’s life and, as the title suggests, eerie death by drowning in 1981. Though Waddell nailed the American accent with the help of a dialect coach, singing was another matter. ”I sang, and then they dubbed rather like Natalie,” she laughs, referring to Wood’s West Side vocal stand-in. ”I have my own Marni Nixon.”
Posted January 9 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Penelope Cruz's chilhood pose inspires Jimmy Fallon's new impression
- 6 things you learn hanging out with Nick Jonas
- Brent Spiner's Dr. Okun returns in 'Independence Day: Resurgence' clip
- Memorial Day box office: See what was topping the charts 25 years ago
- WATCH: Exclusive trailer for new LGBT documentary 'Political Animals'
- 'UnREAL' season 2: Cast previews Quinn and Rachel's 'power struggle'
- Stephen King's 'End of Watch': Read an exclusive excerpt
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers
- 'Thelma and Louise': Where Are They Now?