This is not the best of the Man From Dream City – or even the suavest or the screwiest or the darkest. This is a haphazard gathering of stuff only now appearing on disc. Though less snappy than Grant’s other comedies for director Howard Hawks, ”I Was a Male War Bride” (1949, 105 mins.) – wherein Grant is blithely implausible as a Frenchman and wholly credible as an army officer bitterly besotted with Ann Sheridan’s WAC lieutenant – is the set’s high point. The nadir is the melodrama ”Born to Be Bad” (1934, 61 mins.), destined to be lousy from the moment Grant was cast as a dairy exec who drives his own delivery truck. Joseph L. Mankiewicz’s ”People Will Talk” (1951, 103 mins.) finds our man coming on like a hip Gregory Peck – a saint of a doctor who cares for a pregnant and unwed Jeanne Crain and still finds time to conduct a student orchestra. The medal for glorious perversity goes to Stanley Donen’s ”Kiss Them for Me” (1957, 102 mins.), which melds a rote romance with a story about the existential alienation of military men. Conflicted about America, the movie finds its greatest call to patriotism in Jayne Mansfield’s bosom, and Grant, a World War II hero attempting a booze-soaked shore leave, gets to showcase his sterling cynicism.
The Cary Grant Collection This is not the best of the Man From Dream City -- or even the suavest or the screwiest or the darkest. This is a haphazard gathering of stuff only...The Cary Grant Collection This is not the best of the Man From Dream City -- or even the suavest or the screwiest or the darkest. This is a haphazard gathering of stuff only...2004-01-16
Starring: Cary Grant
Posted January 16 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Pawn Sacrifice' trailer shows Bobby Fischer's greatest struggles
- How Twitter got me serenaded by Mariah Carey at her Las Vegas show
- Critic's Mailbag: EW's movie critic wants to hear from you
- 'Marriage Boot Camp' welcomes... Jeff and Jordan from 'Big Brother?'
- U2 manager Dennis Sheehan dies
- 'Doctor Who' star Peter Capaldi to appear at Comic-Con
- Elizabeth Gillies: From child star to 'Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll'
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Lady Gaga, The Rock, Demi Lovato & More!