This is not the best of the Man From Dream City – or even the suavest or the screwiest or the darkest. This is a haphazard gathering of stuff only now appearing on disc. Though less snappy than Grant’s other comedies for director Howard Hawks, ”I Was a Male War Bride” (1949, 105 mins.) – wherein Grant is blithely implausible as a Frenchman and wholly credible as an army officer bitterly besotted with Ann Sheridan’s WAC lieutenant – is the set’s high point. The nadir is the melodrama ”Born to Be Bad” (1934, 61 mins.), destined to be lousy from the moment Grant was cast as a dairy exec who drives his own delivery truck. Joseph L. Mankiewicz’s ”People Will Talk” (1951, 103 mins.) finds our man coming on like a hip Gregory Peck – a saint of a doctor who cares for a pregnant and unwed Jeanne Crain and still finds time to conduct a student orchestra. The medal for glorious perversity goes to Stanley Donen’s ”Kiss Them for Me” (1957, 102 mins.), which melds a rote romance with a story about the existential alienation of military men. Conflicted about America, the movie finds its greatest call to patriotism in Jayne Mansfield’s bosom, and Grant, a World War II hero attempting a booze-soaked shore leave, gets to showcase his sterling cynicism.
The Cary Grant Collection This is not the best of the Man From Dream City -- or even the suavest or the screwiest or the darkest. This is a haphazard gathering of stuff only...The Cary Grant Collection This is not the best of the Man From Dream City -- or even the suavest or the screwiest or the darkest. This is a haphazard gathering of stuff only...2004-01-16
Starring: Cary Grant
Posted January 16 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Stephen Colbert counters Jeb Bush's 'Late Show' raffle with his own contest
- On the set of 'American Horror Story: Hotel': A foursome with Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- 'Jack Reacher 2' starring Tom Cruise gets a release date
- Stan Lee says 'Fantastic Four' flopped because he didn’t have a cameo
- Dean Jones, The Love Bug and That Darn Cat actor, dies at 84
- 'Wildest Dreams' director responds to allegations of colonialism in Taylor Swift video
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!