With style addicts crying into their cosmos at the impending end of ”Sex and the City,” what show is worthy of accepting its sartorial baton? Early bets were on ”SATC” costume designer Patricia Field’s latest project, ”Hope & Faith,” but Fox’s ”The O.C.” seems more likely to become the younger, brattier heir to Carrie and Co.’s trendsetting legacy. (The So-Cal show featured Ugg boots and micro-minis early on; both became ubiquitous faster than you could say ”meet me in the pool house.”) ”’Sex and the City’ has been so amazing in terms of making viewers think about fashion,” says ”O.C.” costume designer Alexandra Welker. ”We like to think that ‘The O.C.’ is having that kind of impact as well.” Welker plans to bring fashion favorites like Matthew Williamson and Rock & Republic (as well as up-and-comers like Hudson velvet pants and automotive-inspired purses from Kim White) to the hit series. And like ”SATC” and its nameplate necklaces, the show has already performed its first bit of fashion resuscitation with the Original Penguin label. The vintage sportswear logo – formerly associated with golf tournaments and the squarest of celebs (think Arnold Palmer) has been spotted on thinking-girl heartthrobs like Jason Schwartzman as well as ”The O.C.”’s Seth (Adam Brody). It may not be a flower pin, but it’s a start.
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Furious 7' breaks box office records in China
- Jon Stewart's final 'Daily Show' to air Aug. 6
- 'Full House' revival at Netflix officially on; 13 episodes to arrive in 2016
- 'Inside Amy Schumer' renewed
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our audience with returning queen
- 'Bachelorette' first promo: This crazytown ain't big enough for the both of them
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Salma Hayek & More!