For a while it seemed that the box office snoozefest known as January would pack a competitive punch this year with the Jan. 9 release of two remarkably similar-sounding films about presidential offspring: ”Chasing Liberty,” starring Mandy Moore, and ”First Daughter,” with Katie Holmes. The race was over, however, before it could begin when ”Daughter” quietly bowed out. (Twentieth Century Fox will give no reason for the flinch, nor offer a definite date for the film’s release.) Curious, given the brash statements of ”Daughter” producer John Davis. In September, he insisted that his ”bigger and better movie” would not need to move its release date since Moore’s ”rinky-dink version… poses absolutely no competition at the box office.” Maybe he was right: ”Liberty” opened to a disappointing $6.1 million.
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Jeremy Renner says he got in 'internet trouble' for Black Widow comment
- Ryan Gosling eats his cereal as touching tribute to meme-creator
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!