Francesco Scavullo didn’t just capture images, he created them. The veteran photographer, who died of heart failure on Jan. 6 in NYC at age 82, brought out the inner sexpot in celebs – including Janis Joplin, Andy Warhol, Burt Reynolds, and a young Brooke Shields – in his glamorous portraits and magazine covers for the likes of Vogue, Rolling Stone, and Harper’s Bazaar. He also indelibly defined the ”Cosmo girl” with three decades of racy covers. ”He could make you feel like Brigitte Bardot,” says former Cosmopolitan editor Helen Gurley Brown, who hired Scavullo in 1965. ”He knew how to get the best out of you.”
Posted January 23 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Bryce & Chris, Karlie Kloss, Tony & Gaga and More!