Francesco Scavullo didn’t just capture images, he created them. The veteran photographer, who died of heart failure on Jan. 6 in NYC at age 82, brought out the inner sexpot in celebs – including Janis Joplin, Andy Warhol, Burt Reynolds, and a young Brooke Shields – in his glamorous portraits and magazine covers for the likes of Vogue, Rolling Stone, and Harper’s Bazaar. He also indelibly defined the ”Cosmo girl” with three decades of racy covers. ”He could make you feel like Brigitte Bardot,” says former Cosmopolitan editor Helen Gurley Brown, who hired Scavullo in 1965. ”He knew how to get the best out of you.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Bruce Jenner confesses Kim Kardashian was the first to know
- Kanye West helped Kim Kardashian accept Bruce Jenner
- Bruce Jenner to Diane Sawyer: 'The female part of me is who I am'
- Casting Net: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau to star in thriller 'Shot Caller'
- Christian Bale knee injury delays production on Fox's 'The Deep Blue Good-by'
- Jared Leto as the Joker: 'Suicide Squad' director tweets a photo