It’s New Year’s Eve and Tokyo reeks of lust and slime. Kenji is an expert on the subject: Only 20 years old, he uses his knowledge of the city’s seedy Kabuki-cho district and its underground sex scene to make a buck as a tour guide for visiting gaijin. And he’s doing fine. Until a hulking, sweating, lying American named Frank shows up and starts killing. Murakami has won some nice press here for his unflinching look at violence and the underbelly of modern Japan; there’s no doubt that it’s deserved. His latest oozes darkness and ambiguity and reads like a cross-Pacific bullet train.
In the Miso Soup It's New Year's Eve and Tokyo reeks of lust and slime. Kenji is an expert on the subject: Only 20 years old, he uses his knowledge of the city's seedy...In the Miso SoupMystery and ThrillerRyu Murakami It's New Year's Eve and Tokyo reeks of lust and slime. Kenji is an expert on the subject: Only 20 years old, he uses his knowledge of the city's seedy...2004-01-23Kodansha International
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Author: Ryu Murakami; Publisher: Kodansha International
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- New 'Fantastic Four' trailer has hints of Doom
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis: Now (Tribeca), then ('SNL'), future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!