The year is young, but there’s already a strong candidate for the coolest single of ‘04: Twista’s ”Slow Jamz,” a twitchy tribute to baby-making soul currently tearing up the Billboard singles charts. Riding a classic Luther Vandross sample, the speed-rapping Chicago MC and friends – rapper-producer Kanye West and comedian-singer Jamie Foxx – have created a meta-R&B hit: a slow jam about slow jams. In between name-checking classic bedroom crooners (Gladys Knight, Marvin Gaye) and some lesser-knowns (Ready for the World), Twista and pals spit out risque rhymes (”I’m play this Vandross, you gone take yo pants off”) about the seductive effects of a successful booty track. ”People have told me that they use [”Slow Jamz”] in the bedroom,” says Twista. ”That’s the kind of vibe I wanna create – a rap track that will have your attention and make you wanna get down like that, get a bit freaky.” Mission accomplished.
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Daytime Emmys 2015 winners are...
- 'Game of Thrones': Kit Harington on Jon's brutal decision
- 'Game of Thrones' team explains their choices on Sansa's story
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $200+M so far
- Jay Z on Tidal: 'We aren't perfect, but we are determined'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' fans launch petition to bring McDreamy back
- Patrick Dempsey's EW Q&A on 'Grey's' exit: 'Shonda cares deeply about fans and how they will react'