The year is young, but there’s already a strong candidate for the coolest single of ‘04: Twista’s ”Slow Jamz,” a twitchy tribute to baby-making soul currently tearing up the Billboard singles charts. Riding a classic Luther Vandross sample, the speed-rapping Chicago MC and friends – rapper-producer Kanye West and comedian-singer Jamie Foxx – have created a meta-R&B hit: a slow jam about slow jams. In between name-checking classic bedroom crooners (Gladys Knight, Marvin Gaye) and some lesser-knowns (Ready for the World), Twista and pals spit out risque rhymes (”I’m play this Vandross, you gone take yo pants off”) about the seductive effects of a successful booty track. ”People have told me that they use [”Slow Jamz”] in the bedroom,” says Twista. ”That’s the kind of vibe I wanna create – a rap track that will have your attention and make you wanna get down like that, get a bit freaky.” Mission accomplished.
Posted January 23 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'The View' gets new theme song: Mary J. Blige's 'World's Gone Crazy'
- 'The Walking Dead': Jeffrey Dean Morgan had no idea about cliffhanger
- Nick Offerman previews 'Good Clean Fun' and announces tour
- Diana Gordon makes powerful TV debut on 'Colbert'
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead recalls Michael Moore sex scene on 'BrainDead'
- 'Rings' trailer brings Samara back for more scares
- Stephen Colbert helps Rami Malek make his first Instagram post
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...