The year is young, but there’s already a strong candidate for the coolest single of ‘04: Twista’s ”Slow Jamz,” a twitchy tribute to baby-making soul currently tearing up the Billboard singles charts. Riding a classic Luther Vandross sample, the speed-rapping Chicago MC and friends – rapper-producer Kanye West and comedian-singer Jamie Foxx – have created a meta-R&B hit: a slow jam about slow jams. In between name-checking classic bedroom crooners (Gladys Knight, Marvin Gaye) and some lesser-knowns (Ready for the World), Twista and pals spit out risque rhymes (”I’m play this Vandross, you gone take yo pants off”) about the seductive effects of a successful booty track. ”People have told me that they use [”Slow Jamz”] in the bedroom,” says Twista. ”That’s the kind of vibe I wanna create – a rap track that will have your attention and make you wanna get down like that, get a bit freaky.” Mission accomplished.
Posted January 23 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jemaine Clement voices a 'mind-reading fart' in exclusive 'Rick and Morty' clip
- John Carpenter pays tribute to 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper
- Patrick Stewart on cocaine is hilarious in 'Blunt Talk' trailer
- Wrestling great Roddy Piper dies
- See the exclusive first trailer of 'First Times with Jenn and Jack'
- Lauryn Hill covered Nina Simone's 'Feeling Good'
- See Netflix's official logo for Marvel's 'Jessica Jones'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!