”A dramatic fantasy” is the understated subtitle of Jean Renoir’s withering critique of France’s pre-WWII aristocracy. A probing portrait of an overheated week at a country chateau, The Rules of the Game might also be termed a dark comedy, a door-slamming bedroom farce, or a fatalistic tragedy. In scoring all those thematic bull’s-eyes, Renoir (who also wrote the film) infused the tale with his trademark, seemingly effortless humanism while marrying the narrative to a groundbreaking use of deep focus, extended shots, and a roving camera. Quite simply one of the greatest films ever made. EXTRAS As bountiful as their subject: two documentaries on the filmmaker; audio commentary written by Renoir scholar Alexander Sesonske and read by Peter Bogdanovich; a discussion of the film’s long-awaited restoration by its overseers, Jean Gaborit and Jacques Durand; and scene analyses.
The Rules of the Game''A dramatic fantasy'' is the understated subtitle of Jean Renoir's withering critique of France's pre-WWII aristocracy. A probing portrait of an...The Rules of the GameCarl Koch, Jean RenoirPT106MUnrated''A dramatic fantasy'' is the understated subtitle of Jean Renoir's withering critique of France's pre-WWII aristocracy. A probing portrait of an...2004-01-27Janus Films
Starring: Nora Gregor, Jean Renoir, Roland Toutain; Director: Jean Renoir; Author: Carl Koch, Jean Renoir; Runtime (in minutes): 106; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Janus Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!