Any account of Victorian-era homosexuality must, to some extent, deal with oppression and repression; the triumph of this erudite and enthralling survey of the art, politics, criminality, science, literature, geography, and romance of gay life is that it’s also a history of expression and connection. Graham Robb, a noted biographer of Rimbaud and Balzac, has done his homework with Strangers: Homosexual Love in the Nineteenth Century, but knows enough never to let the results feel academic, whether excavating the methodical list John Maynard Keynes kept of his partners (”Stable Boy of Park Lane…Lift boy of Vauxhall”) or offering a shrewd queer rereading of (don’t laugh) Hans Christian Andersen’s ”The Ugly Duckling.” The irresistible details serve a larger thesis; as some tried to puzzle out homosexuality’s origins and others tried to legislate or police it away, Robb shows that same-sex romance – and, not incidentally, sex – flourished with shared references, encoded language, and political self-assertion. If that sounds a lot like our own century, that’s his point, and he makes it superbly.
Strangers: Homosexual Love in the Nineteenth CenturyAny account of Victorian-era homosexuality must, to some extent, deal with oppression and repression; the triumph of this erudite and enthralling survey...Strangers: Homosexual Love in the Nineteenth CenturyGay and Lesbian, NonfictionGraham RobbAny account of Victorian-era homosexuality must, to some extent, deal with oppression and repression; the triumph of this erudite and enthralling survey...2004-01-28W.W. Norton
Genre: Gay and Lesbian, Nonfiction; Author: Graham Robb; Publisher: W.W. Norton
Posted January 28 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Pussy Riot slam Trump in brutal new song, 'Make America Great Again'
- Donald Trump slams Hillary Clinton for attending Adele concert
- Miley Cyrus comments on engagement ring
- Seth Meyers mocks Donald Trump's Obamacare response
- Justin Timberlake on his voting booth selfie: 'I had no idea!'
- Elijah Wood turned down the chance to fight Daniel Radcliffe
- Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon prove they're totally best friends
- The 16 Best Halloween Movies to Stream Right Now
- Hillary Clinton Through The Years
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers