Jennifer Connelly and Paul Bettany were both snubbed for Oscars this week – she for ”House of Sand and Fog,” her husband for ”Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.” But their next roles may offer a nice bonus: getting to work together. According to The Hollywood Reporter, they’re in talks to star in the film version of Philip Roth’s novel ”American Pastoral,” which director Phillip Noyce (”The Quiet American,” ”Clear and Present Danger”) will shoot this spring. Connelly and Bettany, who met when they starred opposite Russell Crowe in ”A Beautiful Mind,” would play the all-American couple at the center of the story, who learn that their daughter (Evan Rachel Wood), a violent 1960s radical, has committed a lethal act of terrorism. (And you thought Wood was a rebellious, out-of-control kid in ”Thirteen.”) We’re guessing it’ll take Oscar-caliber acting – or lots of latex – to convince moviegoers that 32-year-old Bettany and 33-year-old Connelly are the parents of 16-year-old Wood.
(Jennifer Connelly and Paul Bettany: aul Fenton-KPA/ZUMA Press./NewsCom)
Posted January 29 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'SNL' preview: What to expect from Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- Look, but don't retouch? What our female celeb photo fascination says about us
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!