Jennifer Connelly and Paul Bettany were both snubbed for Oscars this week – she for ”House of Sand and Fog,” her husband for ”Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.” But their next roles may offer a nice bonus: getting to work together. According to The Hollywood Reporter, they’re in talks to star in the film version of Philip Roth’s novel ”American Pastoral,” which director Phillip Noyce (”The Quiet American,” ”Clear and Present Danger”) will shoot this spring. Connelly and Bettany, who met when they starred opposite Russell Crowe in ”A Beautiful Mind,” would play the all-American couple at the center of the story, who learn that their daughter (Evan Rachel Wood), a violent 1960s radical, has committed a lethal act of terrorism. (And you thought Wood was a rebellious, out-of-control kid in ”Thirteen.”) We’re guessing it’ll take Oscar-caliber acting – or lots of latex – to convince moviegoers that 32-year-old Bettany and 33-year-old Connelly are the parents of 16-year-old Wood.
(Jennifer Connelly and Paul Bettany: aul Fenton-KPA/ZUMA Press./NewsCom)
Posted January 29 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Sony reaches settlement in hacking lawsuits
- Stephen Colbert counters Jeb Bush's 'Late Show' raffle with his own contest
- On the set of 'American Horror Story: Hotel': A foursome with Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- 'Jack Reacher 2' starring Tom Cruise gets a release date
- Stan Lee says 'Fantastic Four' flopped because he didn’t have a cameo
- Dean Jones, The Love Bug and That Darn Cat actor, dies at 84
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!