Jennifer Connelly and Paul Bettany were both snubbed for Oscars this week – she for ”House of Sand and Fog,” her husband for ”Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.” But their next roles may offer a nice bonus: getting to work together. According to The Hollywood Reporter, they’re in talks to star in the film version of Philip Roth’s novel ”American Pastoral,” which director Phillip Noyce (”The Quiet American,” ”Clear and Present Danger”) will shoot this spring. Connelly and Bettany, who met when they starred opposite Russell Crowe in ”A Beautiful Mind,” would play the all-American couple at the center of the story, who learn that their daughter (Evan Rachel Wood), a violent 1960s radical, has committed a lethal act of terrorism. (And you thought Wood was a rebellious, out-of-control kid in ”Thirteen.”) We’re guessing it’ll take Oscar-caliber acting – or lots of latex – to convince moviegoers that 32-year-old Bettany and 33-year-old Connelly are the parents of 16-year-old Wood.
(Jennifer Connelly and Paul Bettany: aul Fenton-KPA/ZUMA Press./NewsCom)
Posted January 29 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kristen Stewart, James Franco, Helena Bonham Carter join 'JT LeRoy'
- In defense of Cuba Gooding Jr. as O.J. Simpson
- 'The People v. O.J. Simpson': How the White Bronco chase was recreated
- 'Star Wars' meets 'Mario Kart' in 'Star Kart' fan video
- Courteney Cox sitcom 'Charity Case' lands pilot at Fox
- 'Frozen' holiday special to air on ABC in 2017
- Ben Stiller, Penélope Cruz strut on 'Zoolander 2' premiere's red-carpet runway