He’s collared outer-space aliens and Miami thugs in summers past. So what subclass does Will Smith, king of July box office, whup the ass of this time? Robots. He’s Del Spooner, a Chicago detective circa 2035, and he likes to get medieval on mechanical men. (Exactly why is a key mystery, so beware fanboy spoilers before the opening date.) Investigating an apparent human suicide at a vast robot-making facility, Spooner teams with a psychologist (The Recruit’s Bridget Moynahan) who prefers A.I. types to people. If this sounds like it only partly resembles Isaac Asimov’s seminal, identically titled sci-fi story collection (published back in 1950), it’s not your memory chips failing. ”It’s very much inspired by the stories as opposed to a direct translation,” says Alex Proyas, the Australian auteur who gave such a creepy look to The Crow and Dark City. ”I feel we stayed true to the spirit of Asimov. I just hope everyone else agrees with me.” So do Fox execs. They’re rumored to be spending more than $100 million, much of it allocated to CG robots created with data from body-suited actors a la Gollum in the Lord of the Rings films. ”Gollum is a pretty cartoony character,” says Proyas. ”I hope ours will be a step beyond that in terms of reality.”
Posted February 5 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Fifth Harmony rock out in a haunted hotel in 'I'm in Love With a Monster' video
- 'Bones' taps Betty White as new squintern
- Angelina Jolie Pitt's 'By the Sea' will open AFI Fest
- George R. R. Martin says Stannis is still alive — in the books
- Michelle Pfeiffer to play Bernie Madoff's wife in HBO's 'Wizard of Lies'
- Post-apocalyptic survivors tool up in exclusive clip from 'Turbo Kid'
- New 'Homeland' season 5 trailer: Carrie can't escape her past
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Alison & Will, Julianne Hough, Rafael Nadal & More!