The pitch came in two metal boxes. One contained a videotape. The other was a bit of pure geek bliss. ”A plastic robot,” says producer Jon Avnet of the day in 1997 when brothers Kerry and Kevin Conran pitched their retro-cool flick The World of Tomorrow. ”I put the tape in and was blown away.” The footage – six minutes of computer animation that had been home-cooked on a Mac over four years – not only illustrated the Conrans’ nostalgic nerd vision but suggested a novel way of producing it. The film – directed by Kerry, with production design by Kevin – would have an adventure hero called Sky Captain, a plucky reporter love interest, and giant killer robots stomping through a Fritz Lang metropolis, but except for the actors, everything in the movie would be computer-generated. Avnet bought the pitch (”Indiana Jones meets Buck Rogers”) and made the gutsy decision to finance the estimated $70 million production, starring Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow, independently. It worked: Paramount paid a reported $40 million to distribute Tomorrow in North America, and sales to other territories will likely make up the rest of the budget. ”If I knew then what I know now, I would have shot myself,” Avnet says. ”But I would be all the poorer for it.” Dead, too.
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Ryan Gosling eats his cereal as touching tribute to meme-creator
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!