The pitch came in two metal boxes. One contained a videotape. The other was a bit of pure geek bliss. ”A plastic robot,” says producer Jon Avnet of the day in 1997 when brothers Kerry and Kevin Conran pitched their retro-cool flick The World of Tomorrow. ”I put the tape in and was blown away.” The footage – six minutes of computer animation that had been home-cooked on a Mac over four years – not only illustrated the Conrans’ nostalgic nerd vision but suggested a novel way of producing it. The film – directed by Kerry, with production design by Kevin – would have an adventure hero called Sky Captain, a plucky reporter love interest, and giant killer robots stomping through a Fritz Lang metropolis, but except for the actors, everything in the movie would be computer-generated. Avnet bought the pitch (”Indiana Jones meets Buck Rogers”) and made the gutsy decision to finance the estimated $70 million production, starring Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow, independently. It worked: Paramount paid a reported $40 million to distribute Tomorrow in North America, and sales to other territories will likely make up the rest of the budget. ”If I knew then what I know now, I would have shot myself,” Avnet says. ”But I would be all the poorer for it.” Dead, too.
Posted February 5 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!