This thriller is so movie-friendly it demands a logline: Consider it ”Raiders of the Lost Ark” meets ”The Amazing Race.” When a millionaire eccentric finds out his cancer has advanced, he informs his three estranged sons that if they want their inheritance, they’ll have to find the tomb in which he’s hidden himself and his treasures. Soon, the three men begin fighting the jungle, various psychopaths, and each other for the loot, which includes millions of dollars of art and the Codex, a priceless Mayan manuscript. While the novel seems destined – and designed – for Hollywood (producer Lynda Obst is thanked in the acknowledgments), Preston doesn’t cheat his readers out of a fast-paced, clever adventure.
The Codex This thriller is so movie-friendly it demands a logline: Consider it ''Raiders of the Lost Ark'' meets ''The Amazing Race.'' When a millionaire...The CodexMystery and ThrillerDouglas Preston This thriller is so movie-friendly it demands a logline: Consider it ''Raiders of the Lost Ark'' meets ''The Amazing Race.'' When a millionaire...2004-02-06
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Author: Douglas Preston
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Watch Ethan Hawke, Jimmy Fallon channel their inner Bob Dylan to sing a few lullabies
- References in Sufjan Stevens' 'Carrie & Lowell,' explained
- Kevin James parodies 'Furious 7' as Paul Blart
- 'A Place To Call Home': 7 reasons to watch Australia's sexiest period soap
- Audi commercial features new 'Avengers: Age of Ultron,' 'Ant-Man' footage
- See the cover of James Dashner's 'The Game of Lives'
- Nick Jonas goes to raves, drives psychedelic golf cart in new 'Chains' video
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!