Here’s a nifty, one-off literary gimmick for you: Max, the starry-eyed narrator of Greer’s florid second novel, is born in the body of a 70-year-old man and is doomed to live his life in reverse. He is also doomed to love only Alice, whom he meets in the 1880s when she’s a nubile teenager and he’s a stodgy grandfather figure. Greer has fun describing what it’s like for Max to adore Alice first as a dirty old man, then as an age-appropriate husband, and, finally, as her adopted son. But chilly Alice doesn’t inspire the same palpitations in the reader that she does in Max, and the charm of this inventive, elegantly written, but featherweight book resides in its novelty rather than anything substantive it has to say about love or life.
The Confessions of Max Tivoli Here's a nifty, one-off literary gimmick for you: Max, the starry-eyed narrator of Greer's florid second novel, is born in the body of a 70-year-old...The Confessions of Max TivoliFictionAndrew Sean Greer Here's a nifty, one-off literary gimmick for you: Max, the starry-eyed narrator of Greer's florid second novel, is born in the body of a 70-year-old...2004-02-06
Genre: Fiction; Author: Andrew Sean Greer
Posted February 6 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Barack Obama slams Donald Trump at DNC: 'We don’t look to be ruled'
- 'Con Man': Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion want a ‘Spectrum’ movie
- See President Obama's DNC intro video, narrated by Bryan Cranston
- Michael Keaton on 'Beetlejuice' sequel: 'It's possible that ship has sailed'
- 'Another Period' guest blog: Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on latest episode
- 'Barely Famous': Sara, Erin Foster on celebrity stalkers, TV industry
- Lenny Kravitz asks to 'Let Love Rule' for DNC performance
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels