Here’s a nifty, one-off literary gimmick for you: Max, the starry-eyed narrator of Greer’s florid second novel, is born in the body of a 70-year-old man and is doomed to live his life in reverse. He is also doomed to love only Alice, whom he meets in the 1880s when she’s a nubile teenager and he’s a stodgy grandfather figure. Greer has fun describing what it’s like for Max to adore Alice first as a dirty old man, then as an age-appropriate husband, and, finally, as her adopted son. But chilly Alice doesn’t inspire the same palpitations in the reader that she does in Max, and the charm of this inventive, elegantly written, but featherweight book resides in its novelty rather than anything substantive it has to say about love or life.
The Confessions of Max Tivoli Here's a nifty, one-off literary gimmick for you: Max, the starry-eyed narrator of Greer's florid second novel, is born in the body of a 70-year-old...The Confessions of Max TivoliFictionAndrew Sean Greer Here's a nifty, one-off literary gimmick for you: Max, the starry-eyed narrator of Greer's florid second novel, is born in the body of a 70-year-old...2004-02-06
Genre: Fiction; Author: Andrew Sean Greer
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Kevin James parodies 'Furious 7' as Paul Blart
- 'A Place To Call Home': 7 reasons to watch Australia's sexiest period soap
- Audi commercial features new 'Avengers: Age of Ultron,' 'Ant-Man' footage
- See the cover of James Dashner's 'The Game of Lives'
- Nick Jonas goes to raves, drives psychedelic golf cart in new 'Chains' video
- Killer Croc and the end of the Christopher Nolan era
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!