Trivialized in movies, ignored in homes, glorified on the Internet, eating disorders often get the best treatment on the page. For proof – and inspiration – take Kuffel’s ”Passing for Thin” and Wilensky’s ”The Weight of It.” Kuffel’s story of ”Losing Half My Weight and Finding My Self” – that’s 188 pounds, for you number crunchers – is intensely personal, sometimes uncomfortably so. Tales of furtive childhood binges, public humiliation (being too big for a roller coaster), and self-loathing don’t go down too easily. Wilensky’s account, which examines her sister’s dramatic weight loss thanks to gastric bypass surgery, is less personal: ”Why was Alison so fat, and how did she get that way?” is the question she asks. Alas, answers are in short supply in both books. Fortunately, empathy, candor, and courage are abundant.
Passing for Thin Trivialized in movies, ignored in homes, glorified on the Internet, eating disorders often get the best treatment on the page. For proof -- and...Passing for ThinFrances Kuffel Trivialized in movies, ignored in homes, glorified on the Internet, eating disorders often get the best treatment on the page. For proof -- and...2004-02-06Broadway Books
Author: Frances Kuffel; Publisher: Broadway Books
Posted February 6 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Meryl Streep and Rick Springfield rock out in 'Cold One' music video premiere
- Humans renewed for season 2
- U2 performs tribute to Lou Reed with Paul Simon at Madison Square Garden
- How to pretend you've read 'Infinite Jest'
- Elders react to 'Batman v Superman' trailer
- 'The Walking Dead' showrunner talks comic villain Negan in season 6
- 'American Ultra' teaser: Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart fight the government
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Helen Mirren, Tom Cruise, The Baldwins & More!