Maybe MTV is trying to make up for sucking kids away from books. Why else would the music net turn Emily Bronte’s gothic novel into a mediocre modern-day soap opera (PG-13, 88 mins., 2003, Paramount)? Moody Catherine has become sun-kissed Cate (Traffic’s Erika Christensen), swarthy stable boy Heathcliff is hunky musician Heath (Grind’s Mike Vogel), and the cottage on the moors is ”The Heights,” a seaside lighthouse. But remember the nuanced, restrained passion of Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon (unrated, 104 mins., 1939, HBO), or the fiery chemistry of Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche (PG, 107 mins., 1992, Paramount)? Such subtlety has given way to graceless clunkers like ”Sometimes love isn’t enough to hold you; sometimes it’s so strong it drives you away.” Instead of focusing on the inseparability of two kindred spirits, the film glorifies a senseless girl stuck between two obsessed, violent boys. Christensen, all tearful theatrics, could learn from Oberon’s complex Catherine – part civilized, stately lady; part fragile, reckless girl. And Vogel’s Kurt Cobain imitation can’t match Fiennes’ wild-eyed devilishness. On the other hand, certain departures from the original – such as when Heath beats the bejesus out of his abusive adopted brother – prove strangely liberating. 2003: D 1992: B 1939: A-
Posted February 6 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Game of Thrones' star Maisie Williams speaks: The ultimate Arya interview
- Herman Wouk to release memoir in honor of 100th birthday
- Billy Eichner and Martin Short yell at strangers—for a good cause
- 'Wet Hot American Summer': A first look at the Netflix revival with Bradley Cooper, Amy Poehler and Elizabeth Banks
- Watch Weird Al portray Jesus Christ in a silent film
- Lionsgate developing 'Now You See Me 3'
- Danny Trejo joins 'From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series': First Look
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!