When half of a thriller is written from the perspective of an egomaniacal sculptor – cum – serial killer who methodically tortures whole families, takes casts of their bodies at the height of their terror, and turns them into acclaimed works of art – well, it’s a lot for any reader to swallow. And yet ”Parade ”goes down easy. Real easy. Nykanen, a former investigative journalist, has a reporter’s eye, so we believe his heroine, a grounded sculptor – cum – art professor, would actually take in a stray rottweiler. Oddly, the book’s best chills don’t come from the killer – so solipsistic he borders on the banal – but from one of his victims. Known only as Diamond Girl, she’s brazen, perverse, and just enough of a mystery to keep her captor, and us, wickedly in her thrall.
The Bone Parade When half of a thriller is written from the perspective of an egomaniacal sculptor -- cum -- serial killer who methodically tortures whole families,...The Bone ParadeMystery and ThrillerMark Nykanen When half of a thriller is written from the perspective of an egomaniacal sculptor -- cum -- serial killer who methodically tortures whole families,...2004-02-13
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Author: Mark Nykanen
Posted February 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt