When half of a thriller is written from the perspective of an egomaniacal sculptor – cum – serial killer who methodically tortures whole families, takes casts of their bodies at the height of their terror, and turns them into acclaimed works of art – well, it’s a lot for any reader to swallow. And yet ”Parade ”goes down easy. Real easy. Nykanen, a former investigative journalist, has a reporter’s eye, so we believe his heroine, a grounded sculptor – cum – art professor, would actually take in a stray rottweiler. Oddly, the book’s best chills don’t come from the killer – so solipsistic he borders on the banal – but from one of his victims. Known only as Diamond Girl, she’s brazen, perverse, and just enough of a mystery to keep her captor, and us, wickedly in her thrall.
The Bone Parade When half of a thriller is written from the perspective of an egomaniacal sculptor -- cum -- serial killer who methodically tortures whole families,...The Bone ParadeMystery and ThrillerMark Nykanen When half of a thriller is written from the perspective of an egomaniacal sculptor -- cum -- serial killer who methodically tortures whole families,...2004-02-13
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Author: Mark Nykanen
Posted February 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Lance Bass celebrates *NSYNC's 21st birthday with '90s fashion throwback pic
- 'War for the Planet of the Apes' reveals first plot details
- Anna Kendrick grieves over 'Great British Baking Show' host departures
- Grumpy Cat makes Broadway debut with the cast of 'Cats'
- 'The Tonight Show': James Marsden sings Kenny Rogers to 'get the girl'
- Clive Owen, Dakota Fanning go fast and furious for BMW short film
- Bill Maher and Sarah Silverman call Gary Johnson 'a f---ing idiot'