It’s been 10 years since Slant 6 released ”Soda Pop Rip Off” (Dischord), which anticipated the kindred Sleater-Kinney a year before the trio’s debut. Christina Billotte’s newest band (see also Quix*o*tic) is still punk, but it’s a less pugilistic, more retro affair. ”Mama’s Gonna Make Us a Cake” is garage rock that could share a two-port with the White Stripes. But the cover of Etta James’ ”I’ll Dry My Tears” is steel blue old-school heartbreak, and on ”Bumble Bee,” an old LaVern Baker number, Billotte swats an errant lover over a steam-engine chug. Good to know she’s still in the game. FOR THOSE WHO LIKE THEIR PUNK ABSTRACT Check out ”Kila, Kila, Kila” by OOIOO, a.k.a. Yoshimi of Japanese art-noise-drone guerrillas Boredoms.
The Casual Dots It's been 10 years since Slant 6 released ''Soda Pop Rip Off'' (Dischord), which anticipated the kindred Sleater-Kinney a year before the trio's debut...The Casual Dots It's been 10 years since Slant 6 released ''Soda Pop Rip Off'' (Dischord), which anticipated the kindred Sleater-Kinney a year before the trio's debut...2004-02-13
Producer (group): Kill Rock Stars
Posted February 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Oasis' Liam Gallagher on band doc: 'We were the band of a generation'
- 'Pretty Little Liars': Keegan Allen says goodbye as filming wraps
- 'Fresh Off the Boat' Chelsey Crisp talks Honey's Halloween Transformation
- Stephen Colbert mocks Donald Trump for hugging a flag onstage
- Lorraine Toussaint to guest star on 'Black-ish'
- 'Sing' cast poses with animated animal counterparts — exclusive photos
- Jimmy Kimmel combines Trump TV and 'The Walking Dead' in new parody
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?