It’s been 10 years since Slant 6 released ”Soda Pop Rip Off” (Dischord), which anticipated the kindred Sleater-Kinney a year before the trio’s debut. Christina Billotte’s newest band (see also Quix*o*tic) is still punk, but it’s a less pugilistic, more retro affair. ”Mama’s Gonna Make Us a Cake” is garage rock that could share a two-port with the White Stripes. But the cover of Etta James’ ”I’ll Dry My Tears” is steel blue old-school heartbreak, and on ”Bumble Bee,” an old LaVern Baker number, Billotte swats an errant lover over a steam-engine chug. Good to know she’s still in the game. FOR THOSE WHO LIKE THEIR PUNK ABSTRACT Check out ”Kila, Kila, Kila” by OOIOO, a.k.a. Yoshimi of Japanese art-noise-drone guerrillas Boredoms.
The Casual Dots It's been 10 years since Slant 6 released ''Soda Pop Rip Off'' (Dischord), which anticipated the kindred Sleater-Kinney a year before the trio's debut...The Casual Dots It's been 10 years since Slant 6 released ''Soda Pop Rip Off'' (Dischord), which anticipated the kindred Sleater-Kinney a year before the trio's debut...2004-02-13
Producer (group): Kill Rock Stars
Posted February 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Candace Cameron Bure shares new 'Fuller House' photo
- 'Deadpool' red band trailer to officially debut Tuesday on 'Conan'
- Dave Grohl responds in Italian to 1,000 fans who covered ‘Learn to Fly’
- Someone cut together 280 movies for an epic 'Uptown Funk' cover
- Box office report: ‘Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,’ 'Vacation'
- First teaser for 'Zoolander 2' asks one big existential question
- Valerie Harper replaced in play after hospital stay
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!