With Jay-Z’s recent retirement, the Roc-A-Fella dynasty seems to be crumbling – Memphis Bleek’s December release flopped, and Beanie Sigel is embroiled in legal troubles. Enter unlikely savior Kanye West, a 26-year-old MC with a clunky flow and an off-key warble that rivals Biz Markie’s tone-deaf crooning. West is better known as a producer than a rhymer – his beats for Jay-Z turned dusty soul grooves into slick modern funk – but his surprising debut disc, College Dropout, is the most impressive hip-hop CD of the young year. What’s his secret? For one: lush, intricate, and unabashedly pop productions that are alternately uplifting (”Jesus Walks”) and jiggle-inducing (”Workout Plan”). More important, the Chicago native shuns hip-hop’s tired ”Scarface” iconography for a broad topicality – family drama, everyday racism, crappy day jobs, and chasing tail all get equal time. This appreciation of life’s minutiae can go too far: The autobiographical ”Through the Wire” is hip-hop’s first, and hopefully last, song about a broken jaw. But West delivers the goods with a disarming mix of confessional honesty and sarcastic humor, earnest idealism and big-pimping materialism. In a scene still dominated by authenticity battles and gangsta posturing, he’s a middle-class, politically conscious, post-thug, bourgeois rapper – and that’s nothing to be ashamed of.
(Kanye West: Berry Behrendt/Retna)
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Kanye West; Guest Performer: Jamie Foxx, Jay-Z, Mos Def; Producer (person): Kanye West
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!