French auteur Michel Gondry has crafted stunning music videos for superstars like Bjork, Kylie Minogue, and the White Stripes. But that didn’t stop New Zealand rock-rap upstarts Steriogram from sending him a tape of their single ”Walkie Talkie Man.” Surprise – he bit. ”It was the kind of stubborn energy that I like,” says Gondry. ”The punk style made me think of [a famous photo of] the Sex Pistols’ Johnny Rotten and how he had a sweater knitted by his mother – the contrast of this childlike look with this very violent music. From there, I decided to do everything with yarn,” he says of the clip, which has yet to debut on MTV (see it now at capitol records.com/steriogram/walkietalkieman). With the help of knitter/designer Lauri Faggioni, Gondry spun the band’s whole world – from the instruments to the studio to the Capitol Records skyscraper – into a frenetic fabric fantasy. Like most of his undertakings, it was a painstaking process. ”I deliver what I say I will do,” he asserts. ”But a lot of times, people don’t really believe it’s going to work out.” Stubborn energy, indeed.
Posted February 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- 'DWTS' is bringing back Maksim Chmerkovskiy: source
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...