Combine luxe jazz vocalist Julie London with a rapper and you’ll get a sense of this unique singer-songwriter’s charm. McKay crafts piano-based standards that bristle with smart, thorny lyrics and address everything from cloning to pet adoption, and she delivers them with lingering languor, then rat-a-tat bravado. Sophisticated stuff even for a music vet; truly stunning considering McKay is only 19. Her tart and sparkling two-disc debut will surely challenge mainstream mind-sets, but that’s okay: There’s more than enough predictable fare out there for idle worshippers.
Get Away From Me Combine luxe jazz vocalist Julie London with a rapper and you'll get a sense of this unique singer-songwriter's charm. McKay crafts piano-based...Get Away From Me Combine luxe jazz vocalist Julie London with a rapper and you'll get a sense of this unique singer-songwriter's charm. McKay crafts piano-based...2004-02-13
Lead Performer: Nellie McKay
Posted February 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- 'Tomorrowland' leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!