Combine luxe jazz vocalist Julie London with a rapper and you’ll get a sense of this unique singer-songwriter’s charm. McKay crafts piano-based standards that bristle with smart, thorny lyrics and address everything from cloning to pet adoption, and she delivers them with lingering languor, then rat-a-tat bravado. Sophisticated stuff even for a music vet; truly stunning considering McKay is only 19. Her tart and sparkling two-disc debut will surely challenge mainstream mind-sets, but that’s okay: There’s more than enough predictable fare out there for idle worshippers.
Get Away From Me Combine luxe jazz vocalist Julie London with a rapper and you'll get a sense of this unique singer-songwriter's charm. McKay crafts piano-based...Get Away From Me Combine luxe jazz vocalist Julie London with a rapper and you'll get a sense of this unique singer-songwriter's charm. McKay crafts piano-based...2004-02-13
Lead Performer: Nellie McKay
Posted February 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!