Here it is: T Bone Burnett’s best soundtrack yet! Just kidding… though some youngsters might need convincing that the wealth of early-20th-century Southern spirituals transferred from 78s to six CDs in this thrilling set are all for real, not crafty re-creations. Races and gospel subgenres mix (the Stanley Brothers pray alongside Blind Willie McTell, to cite a couple fleeting ”name” acts), united by a hardscrabble rural existence, dread of sin, and hope of flight. The package too is a thing of beauty, an oversize cedar box that envelops 135 songs and 25 sermons in healthy annotation and actual cotton bolls. If ”O Brother” was the ”coffee-table album” of its year, ”Babylon” feels like the coffee table itself.
Goodbye, Babylon Here it is: T Bone Burnett's best soundtrack yet! Just kidding... though some youngsters might need convincing that the wealth of early-20th-century...Goodbye, Babylon Here it is: T Bone Burnett's best soundtrack yet! Just kidding... though some youngsters might need convincing that the wealth of early-20th-century...2004-02-13
Lead Performer: Various Artists; Producer (group): Dust-to-Digital
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!