Here it is: T Bone Burnett’s best soundtrack yet! Just kidding… though some youngsters might need convincing that the wealth of early-20th-century Southern spirituals transferred from 78s to six CDs in this thrilling set are all for real, not crafty re-creations. Races and gospel subgenres mix (the Stanley Brothers pray alongside Blind Willie McTell, to cite a couple fleeting ”name” acts), united by a hardscrabble rural existence, dread of sin, and hope of flight. The package too is a thing of beauty, an oversize cedar box that envelops 135 songs and 25 sermons in healthy annotation and actual cotton bolls. If ”O Brother” was the ”coffee-table album” of its year, ”Babylon” feels like the coffee table itself.
Goodbye, Babylon Here it is: T Bone Burnett's best soundtrack yet! Just kidding... though some youngsters might need convincing that the wealth of early-20th-century...Goodbye, Babylon Here it is: T Bone Burnett's best soundtrack yet! Just kidding... though some youngsters might need convincing that the wealth of early-20th-century...2004-02-13
Lead Performer: Various Artists; Producer (group): Dust-to-Digital; Status: In Season
Posted February 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- Look, but don't retouch? What our female celeb photo fascination says about us
- Chris Rock and Tracy Morgan exchange comic haymakers in 'Top Five' outtakes
- 'Sex Box' react: Enclosed encounters of the absurd kind
- Buffy season 8 recap: 'No Future for You'/'Wolves at the Gate'
- Jennifer Lawrence vs. 'tabloid malarkey'
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!