In this slim volume, a journalist who made his name writing about ice climbing and storm kayaking (”Dangerous Games”) takes on one perfect, $500 meal at Taillevent in Paris. The effect is enchanting. Todhunter spent a few months in the famed eatery’s kitchen, and the research shows. Between descriptions of escargots and perfect verbena ice cream, he serves up side dishes on the origins of the restaurant, the cultural history of salt, and tips on crafting a marquise au chocolat. Curiously, he’s a bit weak when opining on food: Can we really trust a diner who hasn’t eaten a burger in years, claims there is no such thing as too much lobster, and writes: ”I decided that I did not like deli sandwiches made by men”? Still, those are nits. When the final glasses of cognac arrive with the bill at 12:05 a.m., you’ll feel as sated as Todhunter did on that cool summer night.
A Meal Observed In this slim volume, a journalist who made his name writing about ice climbing and storm kayaking (''Dangerous Games'') takes on one perfect, $500...A Meal ObservedNonfictionAndrew Todhunter In this slim volume, a journalist who made his name writing about ice climbing and storm kayaking (''Dangerous Games'') takes on one perfect, $500...2004-02-13
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Andrew Todhunter
Posted February 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Westworld': Who is secretly a robot?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' stars react to final day of filming
- Michael Massee, Actor Who Played '24' Villain Ira Gaines, Dies at 61
- 'Mad Men' creator Matthew Weiner lines up Amazon anthology series
- Box office preview: Tom Hanks' 'Inferno' to catch fire at No. 1
- Hillary Clinton on Adele's endorsement: 'It meant a lot to me'
- 'Westworld': New photos plus episode titles give clues
- The 16 Best Halloween Movies to Stream Right Now
- Hillary Clinton Through The Years
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers