In this slim volume, a journalist who made his name writing about ice climbing and storm kayaking (”Dangerous Games”) takes on one perfect, $500 meal at Taillevent in Paris. The effect is enchanting. Todhunter spent a few months in the famed eatery’s kitchen, and the research shows. Between descriptions of escargots and perfect verbena ice cream, he serves up side dishes on the origins of the restaurant, the cultural history of salt, and tips on crafting a marquise au chocolat. Curiously, he’s a bit weak when opining on food: Can we really trust a diner who hasn’t eaten a burger in years, claims there is no such thing as too much lobster, and writes: ”I decided that I did not like deli sandwiches made by men”? Still, those are nits. When the final glasses of cognac arrive with the bill at 12:05 a.m., you’ll feel as sated as Todhunter did on that cool summer night.
A Meal Observed In this slim volume, a journalist who made his name writing about ice climbing and storm kayaking (''Dangerous Games'') takes on one perfect, $500...A Meal ObservedNonfictionAndrew Todhunter In this slim volume, a journalist who made his name writing about ice climbing and storm kayaking (''Dangerous Games'') takes on one perfect, $500...2004-02-13
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Andrew Todhunter; Status: In Season
Posted February 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- Look, but don't retouch? What our female celeb photo fascination says about us
- Chris Rock and Tracy Morgan exchange comic haymakers in 'Top Five' outtakes
- 'Sex Box' react: Enclosed encounters of the absurd kind
- Buffy season 8 recap: 'No Future for You'/'Wolves at the Gate'
- Jennifer Lawrence vs. 'tabloid malarkey'
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!