Smith’s happy childhood came to an abrupt end when she was 15 and her 18-year-old brother, Roy, died in a car crash. Shy and studious, Alison and Roy had been so close that their parents had called them Alroy. ”While I waited for Roy to come back, my parents waited for the Next Terrible Thing,” Smith writes in her strong, sad memoir of the three years following the tragedy. Roy didn’t come back, of course, but Smith’s parents did not wait in vain. Raised a devout Catholic, Smith lost her faith, which seemed to devastate her mom even more than Roy’s death. Compounding the heresy, Smith fell in love with another girl, and the two were discovered in bed by a nun at her school. (”Lesbians will burn in hell,” Smith’s mother told her.) Smith isn’t always convincing when she tries to tie the pieces of her adolescence together: Roy dies, ergo she becomes anorexic? Well, it might have happened anyway. But she’s a beautiful writer, funny and wise, and she has made an unusually powerful book out of her grief.
Name All the Animals Smith's happy childhood came to an abrupt end when she was 15 and her 18-year-old brother, Roy, died in a car crash. Shy and studious, Alison and Roy...Name All the AnimalsAlison Smith Smith's happy childhood came to an abrupt end when she was 15 and her 18-year-old brother, Roy, died in a car crash. Shy and studious, Alison and Roy...2004-02-13
Author: Alison Smith
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!