Broken Social Scene’s ”You Forgot It in People” was one of last year’s slept-on indie-pop gems. So was ”Heart” by Stars, another Canadian group with ties to the multifaceted Scene. The Giants is yet another related project, though with a haunted country & western spin. Apparently it was inspired by sitting around a snowed-in farmhouse watching Yul Brynner play a psycho-robot cowboy in the cheesy ’70s flick ”Westworld.” And it sounds like it – although its faintly Arabic fiddle drones, dreamy mariachi horns, and occasionally snarling guitars make a cooler soundtrack than the movie ever deserved. THE AMBIENT ROOM Richard Pinhas’ ”Tranzition” (Cuneiform) is ambient rock in a similar vein, recalling those old Robert Fripp/Brian Eno records, but with more kick in its guitar-spiraling step.
Valley of the Giants Broken Social Scene's ''You Forgot It in People'' was one of last year's slept-on indie-pop gems. So was ''Heart'' by Stars, another Canadian group...Valley of the Giants Broken Social Scene's ''You Forgot It in People'' was one of last year's slept-on indie-pop gems. So was ''Heart'' by Stars, another Canadian group...2004-02-13
Producer (group): Arts&Crafts; Status: In Season
Posted February 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt