”It’s very strange and unusual and took a lot out of me,” says Nicole Kidman of director Lars von Trier’s latest devastating drama – part 1 of a planned trilogy – which casts her as a mysterious woman who moves to a small Rocky Mountain town whose initially welcoming residents prove anything but. ”I’m glad I went into von Trier world, but it was difficult.” It may also be difficult for audiences: The three-hour film includes brutal scenes of rape and murder, takes place on a stark soundstage, and features minimal props. ”I think this kind of abstract simplicity is something we need right now,” says the director. ”It’s like a vitamin…. Films look very much alike now.” (The next two installments will look even more different: After ”Dogville”’s divided reception at Cannes last year, Kidman dropped out of part 2 and was replaced by Ron Howard’s daughter Bryce Dallas Howard.) Von Trier’s producers and distributors, meanwhile, lobbied for a two-hour cut of ”Dogville,” but to no avail. ”I’m the type, as you can imagine, that whatever I’m told to do, I will not do,” he says. ”They should have asked me to make a four-hour version!”
(Dogville: © Lion?s Gate)
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Star Wars' Celebration panel on 'Rogue One' and other stand-alones: We're live blogging it
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis on present (two Tribeca films), past ('SNL'), and future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!