Tony Scott loves Mexico City. The ”Spy Game” director’s new movie stars Denzel Washington as a combustible mercenary who takes a gig protecting Dakota Fanning from Mexican kidnappers, and Scott shot the whole movie there. ”It’s tough, it’s dirty, it’s dark, it’s SEXUAL,” he purrs. ”It’s a real wild place, and you can feel that tension on the streets. I think it serves our movie well.” It served, at least, to bond the costars. ”One time we were filming on this street and it smelled SO BAD,” says Fanning. ”Denzel and I were joking about it.” The two-time Oscar winner quizzed the 9-year-old ”Cat in the Hat” pint-sizer on her state capitals between takes, but don’t hold out for a happy, fuzzy Denzel on screen. ”He’s out there in this one, taking huge risks as an actor in the second half,” says Scott, who was rejected as director of the project ages ago (it was then mangled into a 1987 turkey of the same name starring Scott Glenn). But Scott feels good about his remake. ”It’s not ‘Death Wish’,” he says. ”It’s the biggest, edgiest movie I’ve ever done, and it’s a huge emotional roller coaster.”
(Man on Fire: Carlos Somante)
Posted February 17 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Joan Rivers remembered by daughter Melissa in touching tribute
- 'Big Brother': James explains why he trashed the house during the veto competition
- Michelle Obama wished Beyoncé a happy birthday on Twitter
- Jason Biggs' son picked book perfect for his 'American Pie' past
- 'Big Brother': Meg on her biggest mistake and that drunken night with Clay
- Pink says she has no issue with Demi Lovato after critical VMAs comments
- See a peculiar teaser for 'Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children'
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!