David Koepp may not be a household name like his Oscar-nominated leading man, but he has carved out a darn nice career as a blockbuster screenwriter (”Jurassic Park,” ”Mission: Impossible,” ”Spider-Man”) and respectable thriller director (1999’s ”Stir of Echoes”). With ”Secret,” he takes another stab at the genre, adapting a Stephen King novella about an author (Johnny Depp) who retreats to a lakeside cabin where he’s tormented by a mysterious kook (John Turturro). ”My mother always asks, ‘A nice little comedy – what would be so hard about that?”’ says Koepp. To hear Depp talk about it, Mom’s not going to be pleased this time, either: ”I read it and was like, yeah, great, it’s classic Stephen King,” he told EW. ”And then suddenly you go, ‘Oh, s—! Are you kidding?’ It makes this gigantic leap.” Not that life on the Montreal set was all thrills and chills, thanks to the success of Depp’s ”Pirates of the Caribbean.” ”We hired an actor and got a movie star,” says Koepp, who adds that Depp handled his exploding celebrity with ease. ”He just found it all kind of surprising and amusing and silly.”
(Secret Window: Jonathan Wenk)
Posted February 17 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Survivor' players on the most shameless thing they did for fan votes
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!