It’s not often that Saturday Night Live makes us weep with laughter. While we loved the opener (a Nightline segment about Janet Jackson’s boob), it was the Feb. 7 ”Oprah’s Favorite Things” sketch that had us wiping away tears. Led by Maya Rudolph – who has Oprah’s aura of Zen superiority nailed – the skit spoofed Winfrey’s annual celebration of conspicuous consumption, in which she gives away everything from DVD camcorders to designer sweaters to turkeys while histrionic housewives in the audience shriek with joy. SNL played it as a surreal orgy of greed: A group of sensibly dressed suburbanites (including Amy Poehler, Rachel Dratch, and host Megan Mullally) cheered, passed out, made out, went into labor, dismembered each other, wet themselves, and exploded from sheer excitement. By the time the camera cut to a crazed Tina Fey crouched on a chair devouring her free smoked turkey like a rabid squirrel, we had completely ruined our mascara.
Posted February 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Donald Trump is suing Univision
- You can now listen to Matt Bomer cover D'Angelo
- 'Mighty Morphin Power Rangers' comics are coming: EW exclusive reveal of Green Ranger cover
- Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner to divorce
- Rob Thomas details new solo album 'The Great Unknown'
- See the first extended look at 'Rory McIlroy PGA Tour'
- Rick Moody to write memoir detailing his second marriage
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!