It’s not often that Saturday Night Live makes us weep with laughter. While we loved the opener (a Nightline segment about Janet Jackson’s boob), it was the Feb. 7 ”Oprah’s Favorite Things” sketch that had us wiping away tears. Led by Maya Rudolph – who has Oprah’s aura of Zen superiority nailed – the skit spoofed Winfrey’s annual celebration of conspicuous consumption, in which she gives away everything from DVD camcorders to designer sweaters to turkeys while histrionic housewives in the audience shriek with joy. SNL played it as a surreal orgy of greed: A group of sensibly dressed suburbanites (including Amy Poehler, Rachel Dratch, and host Megan Mullally) cheered, passed out, made out, went into labor, dismembered each other, wet themselves, and exploded from sheer excitement. By the time the camera cut to a crazed Tina Fey crouched on a chair devouring her free smoked turkey like a rabid squirrel, we had completely ruined our mascara.
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Master Chief meets his match in first 'Halo 5' trailers
- Watch Trevor Noah's 'Daily Show' segments
- ACM Awards add Little Big Town, Lady Antebellum, surprise duet with Christina Aguilera
- Louis. C.K. plays Mayor Bill de Blasio's anger translator at Inner Circle dinner
- John Oliver wants you to ignore April Fools' Day
- 'Game of Thrones' actress Maisie Williams going to 'Doctor Who'
- Exclusive: Flo Rida drops breezy, Robin Thicke-featuring "I Don't Like It, I Love It"
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!