It’s not often that Saturday Night Live makes us weep with laughter. While we loved the opener (a Nightline segment about Janet Jackson’s boob), it was the Feb. 7 ”Oprah’s Favorite Things” sketch that had us wiping away tears. Led by Maya Rudolph – who has Oprah’s aura of Zen superiority nailed – the skit spoofed Winfrey’s annual celebration of conspicuous consumption, in which she gives away everything from DVD camcorders to designer sweaters to turkeys while histrionic housewives in the audience shriek with joy. SNL played it as a surreal orgy of greed: A group of sensibly dressed suburbanites (including Amy Poehler, Rachel Dratch, and host Megan Mullally) cheered, passed out, made out, went into labor, dismembered each other, wet themselves, and exploded from sheer excitement. By the time the camera cut to a crazed Tina Fey crouched on a chair devouring her free smoked turkey like a rabid squirrel, we had completely ruined our mascara.
Posted February 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bindi Irwin praises Ariel Winter's body confidence
- Garry Marshall's 'The Flamingo Kid' is going to be a stage musical
- Watch the exclusive teaser for 'Documentary Now!'
- Ice Cube to bring hip-hop 'Hollywood Squares' to VH1
- Mila Kunis bought her $90 wedding band on Etsy
- Director Edgar Wright shares his 1,000 favorite films
- Pink Floyd announce massive 27-disc collection covering 1965 to 1972
- 'Alice in Wonderland': Witticisms and Wisdom From the Disney Classic
- 'John Tucker Must Die': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?