Kureishi, author of 1990’s racy, exuberant ”The Buddha of Suburbia,” can do a lot better than this truncated, slapdash sci-fi meditation on beauty, aging, and death. Adam is a saggy, sixtysomething London playwright who goes to a party, hears about a revolutionary technique for transplanting old brains into young bodies, looks in the mirror, and signs up. He chooses a handsome new physique from the refrigerator of a dodgy underground clinic, and after a little surgery and a name change, presto: Potbellied old Adam is reborn as the well-hung Leo Raphael Adams, ”stocky and as classically handsome as any sculpture in the British Museum.” This is a nifty premise, full of narrative and philosophical possibilities, but for the remainder of this scrawny volume Adam bums around Europe, moonlights as a model, has a lot of sex, and entertains desultory, staggeringly shallow reflections on the human condition, such as the immortal: ”What were refinement and the intellect compared to a sublime f—?”
The Body (Book - Hanif Kureishi) Kureishi, author of 1990's racy, exuberant ''The Buddha of Suburbia,'' can do a lot better than this truncated, slapdash sci-fi meditation on beauty,...The Body (Book - Hanif Kureishi)FictionHanif Kureishi Kureishi, author of 1990's racy, exuberant ''The Buddha of Suburbia,'' can do a lot better than this truncated, slapdash sci-fi meditation on beauty,...2004-02-20
Genre: Fiction; Author: Hanif Kureishi
Posted February 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' season 7 winner talks about being the 'shadiest queen'
- Robin Williams' wife, children continue to sort out issues over late actor's estate
- Icona Pop join One Direction on their U.S. tour
- Caitlyn Jenner's mom: 'She's beautiful'
- St. Vincent OK after fall off speakers
- Eddie Redmayne set for 'Fantastic Beasts'
- Justice Department ramps up its investigation of theater chains
- 18 CBS star portraits from summer/fall shows
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Charlize & Seth, Alessandro & Bradley, Gwen Stefani and More!