The effete and seriously unreliable narrator of this clever, sprightly, but hollow third novel is 40-year-old Hugo Whittier, a failed writer with Buerger’s disease – a condition that will soon kill him if he continues to smoke. And, as he puts it, ”Smoking is the love of my life.” Living (or rather, dying) in majestic isolation in his ancestral home on the Hudson River, he cooks himself elaborate, solitary meals, reads M.F.K. Fisher, and fills notebooks with nasty, astute observations about everything. Arrogant and misanthropic, he is horrified when his congenial brother – fleeing a disintegrating marriage – moves in, followed by his own estranged wife (”that jolie-laide, bucktoothed Polish flat-chested bitch”) and 10-year-old daughter. Hugo’s snotty monologues are ”Lament”’s chief delight; they may also inspire you to throw the book across the room.
The Epicure's Lament The effete and seriously unreliable narrator of this clever, sprightly, but hollow third novel is 40-year-old Hugo Whittier, a failed writer with...The Epicure's LamentFictionKate Christensen The effete and seriously unreliable narrator of this clever, sprightly, but hollow third novel is 40-year-old Hugo Whittier, a failed writer with...2004-02-20
Genre: Fiction; Author: Kate Christensen
Posted February 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Olivia Munn show off some serious Psylocke fighting skills
- Patrick Stewart really, really wants to join Taylor Swift’s squad
- 'Fantastic Four' cast says they still haven't seen the film
- Candace Cameron Bure shares new 'Fuller House' photo
- 'Deadpool' red band trailer to officially debut Tuesday on 'Conan'
- Dave Grohl responds in Italian to 1,000 fans who covered ‘Learn to Fly’
- Someone cut together 280 movies for an epic 'Uptown Funk' cover
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!