From the 1960 release of jazzy, jagged ”Breathless” through the 1967 detonation of the car-crashing kiss-off ”Weekend,” Jean-Luc Godard was the world’s most important director. (Since then, he’s been the only Maoist propagandist whose influence is felt in Hollywood’s every jump cut.) This first major English-language biography works hardest at fleshing out his social and intellectual contexts, giving clear accounts of big events (the Reformation, WWII), big thinkers (Freud, Marx, Sartre), and the big screen (an invigorating refresher course on the French New Wave) to show how a scrawny Franco-Swiss math geek became a film god. We want more life in this life, more about the man with such presence that ”both Bernardo Bertolucci and Serge Daney had vomited on their first encounter with him.” But until the definitive Godard bio comes along, MacCabe’s is essential for anyone deep in movie-love.
Godard From the 1960 release of jazzy, jagged ''Breathless'' through the 1967 detonation of the car-crashing kiss-off ''Weekend,'' Jean-Luc Godard was the...GodardBiographyColin MacCabe From the 1960 release of jazzy, jagged ''Breathless'' through the 1967 detonation of the car-crashing kiss-off ''Weekend,'' Jean-Luc Godard was the...2004-02-20
Genre: Biography; Author: Colin MacCabe
Posted February 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Philinda finally going to happen?
- Adele endorses Hillary Clinton at Miami concert
- Stephen Colbert compares Donald Trump to Voldemort
- 'This Is Us': Dan Fogelman breaks down Jack and William revelations
- Trump-inspired 'Law & Order: SVU' episode gets post-election air date
- 'This Is Us': Milo Ventimiglia on Jack's fate
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival: New posters feature three generations, plus Luke
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop