If your kids beg for ritual ”Lion King” viewings but you’ve got hang-ups about a movie with a couple gnarly death scenes, Disney’s got your number: The Lion King 1 1/2. This chronologically concurrent quasi-sequel is sort of the Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead to the original’s ”Hamlet,” viewing the same narrative via meerkat Timon (Nathan Lane) and warthog Pumbaa (Ernie Sabella), taking the piss out of – or putting more farts into – ”LK”’s mortal pretensions. A little borscht-belt humor goes a long way, but it’s hard not to warm up to a Disney movie whose ”meshuggener”-spouting characters make ”The Prince of Egypt” look gentile, and in which an ironic burst of ”Sunrise, Sunset” gets equal time with ”Circle of Life.” EXTRAS Peter Graves parodies Biography and Meredith Vieira hosts a trivia game on a second disc where too much ado is made about a direct-to-video flick.
Genre: Kids and Family, Animation; Starring: Matthew Broderick, Ernie Sabella, Nathan Lane, Whoopi Goldberg, Julie Kavner, Cheech Marin, Jerry Stiller; Director: Bradley Raymond; Status: In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season
Posted February 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters