If your kids beg for ritual ”Lion King” viewings but you’ve got hang-ups about a movie with a couple gnarly death scenes, Disney’s got your number: The Lion King 1 1/2. This chronologically concurrent quasi-sequel is sort of the Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead to the original’s ”Hamlet,” viewing the same narrative via meerkat Timon (Nathan Lane) and warthog Pumbaa (Ernie Sabella), taking the piss out of – or putting more farts into – ”LK”’s mortal pretensions. A little borscht-belt humor goes a long way, but it’s hard not to warm up to a Disney movie whose ”meshuggener”-spouting characters make ”The Prince of Egypt” look gentile, and in which an ironic burst of ”Sunrise, Sunset” gets equal time with ”Circle of Life.” EXTRAS Peter Graves parodies Biography and Meredith Vieira hosts a trivia game on a second disc where too much ado is made about a direct-to-video flick.
The Lion King 1 1/2 If your kids beg for ritual ''Lion King'' viewings but you've got hang-ups about a movie with a couple gnarly death scenes, Disney's got your number: ...The Lion King 1 1/2Kids and Family, AnimationG If your kids beg for ritual ''Lion King'' viewings but you've got hang-ups about a movie with a couple gnarly death scenes, Disney's got your number: ...2004-02-20Whoopi GoldbergJulie KavnerCheech MarinJerry StillerWhoopi Goldberg, Julie Kavner, Cheech Marin, Jerry Stiller
Genre: Kids and Family, Animation; Starring: Matthew Broderick, Ernie Sabella, Nathan Lane, Whoopi Goldberg, Julie Kavner, Cheech Marin, Jerry Stiller; Director: Bradley Raymond; MPAA Rating: G
Posted February 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bruce Springsteen stops ‘Jersey Girl’ performance for a marriage proposal
- Rihanna teases VMAs performance with abstract art video
- Here's how they make those movie sex scenes so sexy
- Robert Gant talks romancing Debbie Gibson in 'Summer of Dreams'
- 'Southside With You' reviews: What critics are saying
- 'Rogue One' trailer gets 'Friends' treatment in mash-up video
- Drake sent Rihanna a message... on a billboard