If your kids beg for ritual ”Lion King” viewings but you’ve got hang-ups about a movie with a couple gnarly death scenes, Disney’s got your number: The Lion King 1 1/2. This chronologically concurrent quasi-sequel is sort of the Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead to the original’s ”Hamlet,” viewing the same narrative via meerkat Timon (Nathan Lane) and warthog Pumbaa (Ernie Sabella), taking the piss out of – or putting more farts into – ”LK”’s mortal pretensions. A little borscht-belt humor goes a long way, but it’s hard not to warm up to a Disney movie whose ”meshuggener”-spouting characters make ”The Prince of Egypt” look gentile, and in which an ironic burst of ”Sunrise, Sunset” gets equal time with ”Circle of Life.” EXTRAS Peter Graves parodies Biography and Meredith Vieira hosts a trivia game on a second disc where too much ado is made about a direct-to-video flick.
The Lion King 1 1/2 If your kids beg for ritual ''Lion King'' viewings but you've got hang-ups about a movie with a couple gnarly death scenes, Disney's got your number: ...The Lion King 1 1/2Kids and Family, AnimationG If your kids beg for ritual ''Lion King'' viewings but you've got hang-ups about a movie with a couple gnarly death scenes, Disney's got your number: ...2004-02-20Whoopi GoldbergJulie KavnerCheech MarinJerry StillerWhoopi Goldberg, Julie Kavner, Cheech Marin, Jerry Stiller
Genre: Kids and Family, Animation; Starring: Matthew Broderick, Ernie Sabella, Nathan Lane, Whoopi Goldberg, Julie Kavner, Cheech Marin, Jerry Stiller; Director: Bradley Raymond; MPAA Rating: G
Posted February 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- What's leaving Netflix in May
- Bonnaroo issues statement on anti-LGBT legislation in Tennessee
- 'Simpsons' exclusive clip: Jay Leno to buy Homer's car
- Lin-Manuel Miranda stops by Alexander Hamilton's grave
- Ricky Gervais says Eric Bana is 'a stupid, big, lumpy idiot'
- 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' is the most beautiful 'Trek' film
- WATCH: George Clooney dodges bullet in exclusive 'Money Monster' clip