If your kids beg for ritual ”Lion King” viewings but you’ve got hang-ups about a movie with a couple gnarly death scenes, Disney’s got your number: The Lion King 1 1/2. This chronologically concurrent quasi-sequel is sort of the Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead to the original’s ”Hamlet,” viewing the same narrative via meerkat Timon (Nathan Lane) and warthog Pumbaa (Ernie Sabella), taking the piss out of – or putting more farts into – ”LK”’s mortal pretensions. A little borscht-belt humor goes a long way, but it’s hard not to warm up to a Disney movie whose ”meshuggener”-spouting characters make ”The Prince of Egypt” look gentile, and in which an ironic burst of ”Sunrise, Sunset” gets equal time with ”Circle of Life.” EXTRAS Peter Graves parodies Biography and Meredith Vieira hosts a trivia game on a second disc where too much ado is made about a direct-to-video flick.
Genre: Kids and Family, Animation; Starring: Matthew Broderick, Ernie Sabella, Nathan Lane, Whoopi Goldberg, Julie Kavner, Cheech Marin, Jerry Stiller; Director: Bradley Raymond; Status: In Season; MPAA Rating: G
Posted February 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Someone cut together 280 movies for an epic 'Uptown Funk' cover
- Box office report: ‘Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,’ 'Vacation'
- First trailer for Zoolander 2 asks one big existential question
- Valerie Harper replaced in play after hospital stay
- NFL legend Jerry Rice heads to 'Hawaii Five-0'
- Sarah Michelle Gellar wonders if daughter could be a ‘Future Slayer’
- Ronda Rousey pays tribute to ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!