Full of good intentions but light on laughs, Mambo is the latest to join the Greek chorus of eardrum-piercing ethnic comedies. When it comes to neuroses, twentysomething Angelo (Luke Kirby) is the Italian Allen: He’s saddled with a dead-end job, overbearing parents, and a shrink-swapping older sister. But Woody never had to come out of the closet. After Mama and Papa (Ginette Reno and Sorvino) learn their bambino is omosessuale, slapstick – and some hearty slaps upside the head – ensues, and no stereotype is left untouched. (Does every gay man strut around in skintight clothing?) And Angelo’s romance with conflicted childhood pal Nino (Peter Miller) generates as much heat as a frozen lasagna. Despite the film’s lively gesticulating, you’ll fuhgeddaboudit as soon as the credits roll.
Mambo Italiano Full of good intentions but light on laughs, Mambo is the latest to join the Greek chorus of eardrum-piercing ethnic comedies. When it comes to...Mambo ItalianoComedyEmile GaudreaultPT88MR Full of good intentions but light on laughs, Mambo is the latest to join the Greek chorus of eardrum-piercing ethnic comedies. When it comes to...2004-02-20Peter MillerSamuel Goldwyn Films
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Ginette Reno, Luke Kriby, Paul Sorvino, Peter Miller; Director: Emile Gaudreault; Author: Emile Gaudreault; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Samuel Goldwyn Films
Posted February 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- Obama talks 'The Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan moving on
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!