John C. Holmes’ larger-than-life, ahem, talent turned a scrawny, average-looking guy into a porn superstar. ”The King” was also charming enough to maintain the support of his estranged wife and teen girlfriend (pals themselves, incidentally) throughout the investigation of his involvement in the brutal 1981 slayings of four people in L.A. With so much material, it’s understandable that cowriter-director James Cox overstuffs this violent, drugged-out, virtually sexless love/crime story. Kilmer captivates as the spacey, manipulative Holmes (acquitted of all charges). But Cox’s stylish, Rashomon-influenced bio-drama fails to dig deep inside his conflicted characters and doesn’t measure up to the bigger, Holmes-inspired Boogie Nights. EXTRAS Gruesome LAPD crime-scene video, deleted scenes, and – for those who can’t get enough – a thorough limited-edition doc in which ex – Screw publisher Al Goldstein likens Holmes to a Kennedy.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Kate Bosworth, Val Kilmer, Lisa Kudrow, Christina Applegate, Eric Bogosian, Chris Ellis, Carrie Fisher, Franky G, Janeane Garofalo, Ted Levine, Louis Lombardi, Faizon Love, Josh Lucas, Dylan McDermott, Tim Blake Nelson, Natasha Gregson Wagner; Director: James Cox; Author: James Cox, Captain Mauzner, Todd Samovitz, D. Loriston Scott; Release Date Wide: 10/17/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Fantastic Four' trailer arrives with hints of Doom
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis: Now (Tribeca), then ('SNL'), future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!