John C. Holmes’ larger-than-life, ahem, talent turned a scrawny, average-looking guy into a porn superstar. ”The King” was also charming enough to maintain the support of his estranged wife and teen girlfriend (pals themselves, incidentally) throughout the investigation of his involvement in the brutal 1981 slayings of four people in L.A. With so much material, it’s understandable that cowriter-director James Cox overstuffs this violent, drugged-out, virtually sexless love/crime story. Kilmer captivates as the spacey, manipulative Holmes (acquitted of all charges). But Cox’s stylish, Rashomon-influenced bio-drama fails to dig deep inside his conflicted characters and doesn’t measure up to the bigger, Holmes-inspired Boogie Nights. EXTRAS Gruesome LAPD crime-scene video, deleted scenes, and – for those who can’t get enough – a thorough limited-edition doc in which ex – Screw publisher Al Goldstein likens Holmes to a Kennedy.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Kate Bosworth, Val Kilmer, Lisa Kudrow, Christina Applegate, Eric Bogosian, Chris Ellis, Carrie Fisher, Franky G, Janeane Garofalo, Ted Levine, Louis Lombardi, Faizon Love, Josh Lucas, Dylan McDermott, Tim Blake Nelson, Natasha Gregson Wagner; Director: James Cox; Author: James Cox, Captain Mauzner, Todd Samovitz, D. Loriston Scott; Release Date Limited: 10/03/2003; Release Date Wide: 10/17/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted February 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Adnan Syed is ‘more hopeful’ following post-conviction hearing
- 'SNL': How the 'Bern Your Enthusiasm' sketch came together
- Melissa McCarthy raps her favorite Kanye West song in 'SNL' promos
- Everything you need to know about this year's Academy Award nominees
- Slipknot frontman comments on racism in metal
- USA picks up Ryan Phillippe-starring 'Shooter' to series
- 'The Walking Dead': See the first 4 minutes of the midseason premiere
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday