Having peaked prior to puberty, Dickie Roberts is a Hollywood has-been. Now a washed-up thirtysomething parking valet, Dickie (played by a seemingly bored David Spade) hires a family to help him belatedly experience a ”normal” childhood, in order to land a crucial comeback role. An original premise, yes, but ex-”SNL” writer Fred Wolf’s script, Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star, suffocates under both the touchy-feely moments and the been-there-seen-that slapstick. EXTRAS The hilarious busload of deleted scenes, outtakes, and minidocs gives this otherwise mediocre DVD a much-needed boost. To quote Dickie, you’d be ”nucking futs” not to check out the extended version of the film’s only memorable highlight: a satirical music video featuring 27 real former child stars – like the Coreys, Leif Garrett, and Barry Williams!
(Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star: Mark Fellman)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: David Spade, Craig Bierko, Jon Lovitz, Mary McCormack, Alyssa Milano, Doris Roberts; Director: Sam Weisman; Author: David Spade, Fred Wolf; Release Date Wide: 09/05/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted February 27 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': What's happened to Agent May?
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' star on Ghost Rider's surprising move
- Damian Lewis in talks to play the villain in 'Ocean's 8'
- 'Chicago Fire' creator breaks down episode 100's big surprises
- 'Suicide Squad' Honest Trailer takes aim at the 'worst heroes ever'
- Joe Biden clarifies 2020 presidential bid comments
- 'This Is Us': Chris Sullivan on that Toby cliffhanger in the winter finale
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans