TWENTIETH CENTURY Today’s travelers are content in sweats, but in the 1930s they dressed to impress. So to outfit luxury-rail riders Alec Baldwin and Anne Heche for the Broadway revival of ”Twentieth Century” (now in previews), William Ivey Long isn’t skimping on style. ”She’s playing a movie star,” he says of Heche, who stars as Lily Garland. ”She has peignoirs, a teddy, two dressing gowns, a trouser look….” Baldwin’s costumes are less extravagant: ”I [wear] a suit and tie and a big overcoat,” says the actor, who plays a Broadway impresario desperate to revive his career – and his romance with Miss Garland. ”I spend the bulk of the play in pajamas.” Guess ’30s-era attire wasn’t so different after all.
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!