At Disney World, they’re still letting Donald Duck walk around without pants, but they’re drawing the line at letting Mickey Mouse dress like Janet Jackson. In the latest ripple from Jackson’s exposed nipple at last month’s Super Bowl, the family-oriented theme park has removed a life-size statue of Mickey dressed à la Janet in her all-black leather outfit from the 1989 ”Rhythm Nation” video. (It was one of 75 700-pound statues of Mickey Mouse unveiled last fall for the Disney mascot’s 75th birthday, including ones inspired by Andre Agassi, Ellen DeGeneres, and Jamie Lee Curtis.) ”Considering all the controversy it drew, we talked it over for a couple of days and decided it would be best to replace hers with a new one,” Disney spokesman Gary Foster told the Orlando Sentinel. Given the plunging décolletage of the gown Curtis wore to the Oscars this week, so low that she appeared in danger of suffering her own Jackson-esque ”wardrobe malfunction,” maybe Disney World should replace that statue as well.
Posted March 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Creators Robert and Michelle King talk 'The Good Wife' return
- Mad Max collector's edition Blu-ray: Exclusive release details
- Missy Elliott and Pharrell are in the studio together
- See Eddie Redmayne in his next big role as Lili Elbe in The Danish Girl
- Carlton Cuse looks back on his long and unique career
- Kanye apology to Beck, Bruno Mars
- Carly Rae Jepsen returns with 'I Really Like You'--and Tom Hanks?!
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!