Adam Sandler gets 50 first dates with Drew Barrymore in their latest collaboration, but in his film debut, Brian Herzlinger would be happy with just one. The aspiring filmmaker – smitten with Barrymore since E.T. – has combined his passions by making a documentary about wooing the actress. The result, My Date With Drew, is sparking buzz: It will show at HBO’s U.S. Comedy Arts Festival in Aspen, Colo., and Artisan, Fox Searchlight, and NBC/Bravo are interested in acquiring it. Financed with $1,100 Herzlinger won on the TV game show Taboo (”The winning answer was ‘Drew Barrymore,”’ he says. ”I took that as a sign”), Date charts a six-degrees path to Barrymore through Corey Feldman, Eric Roberts, and Charlie’s Angels writer John August. Yet Herzlinger took pains to not seem too interested. ”I didn’t want to come off as a stalker.” As for the date, Barrymore’s people aren’t talking, and Herzlinger hopes audiences will pay to find out for themselves. But at least he got his Taboo cash back: The movie was shot in 30 days – before Circuit City’s money-back return policy on his camcorder ran out. Curiously, the store no longer offers such a generous window.
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen to write, direct, produce, and star in Freddie Mercury biopic
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- Trevor Noah eyed as 'Daily Show' host?
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Kate Mara, Sienna Miller & More!