Adam Sandler gets 50 first dates with Drew Barrymore in their latest collaboration, but in his film debut, Brian Herzlinger would be happy with just one. The aspiring filmmaker – smitten with Barrymore since E.T. – has combined his passions by making a documentary about wooing the actress. The result, My Date With Drew, is sparking buzz: It will show at HBO’s U.S. Comedy Arts Festival in Aspen, Colo., and Artisan, Fox Searchlight, and NBC/Bravo are interested in acquiring it. Financed with $1,100 Herzlinger won on the TV game show Taboo (”The winning answer was ‘Drew Barrymore,”’ he says. ”I took that as a sign”), Date charts a six-degrees path to Barrymore through Corey Feldman, Eric Roberts, and Charlie’s Angels writer John August. Yet Herzlinger took pains to not seem too interested. ”I didn’t want to come off as a stalker.” As for the date, Barrymore’s people aren’t talking, and Herzlinger hopes audiences will pay to find out for themselves. But at least he got his Taboo cash back: The movie was shot in 30 days – before Circuit City’s money-back return policy on his camcorder ran out. Curiously, the store no longer offers such a generous window.
Posted March 5 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Thrones' actor on new show: 'We don't need dragons. We got cocaine!'
- David Spade: 'Fameless' isn't mean-spirited — the contestants are too 'thirsty'
- 'Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp': On the set of the prequel
- Azealia Banks: Australian crowds are 'violent' and 'terrible'
- Exclusive clip from TV satire 'Shooting the Warwicks' is unreal
- Diane Keaton joins Jude Law for HBO's 'The Young Pope'
- Someone's made a 'Breaking Bad'-inspired coffee shop
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!