Okay, we’ve all seen Cecil B. DeMille’s epic umpteen times on Easter and let’s be clear: This is not a masterwork with subtle, Leanian shadings or deep subtexts. It’s well-made, kitschy fun put across by special effects that retain a thrilling visual power and a cast that knew exactly how to serve up the ham. EXTRAS According to the sometimes over-reverential commentary, William Holden was nixed for Brynner, who looked better bald (good decision). Audrey Hepburn lost out to Baxter because her twiggy figure didn’t amply fill out the filigree costumes. Though Moses apparently stuttered in real life, DeMille decided it wouldn’t work to have Heston do the same (another good decision). And most fascinatingly of all, that’s popcorn falling on Brynner in the plague-of-hail sequence. How appropriate!
The Ten Commandments: Special Collector's Edition Okay, we've all seen Cecil B. DeMille's epic umpteen times on Easter and let's be clear: This is not a masterwork with subtle, Leanian shadings or...The Ten Commandments: Special Collector's EditionG Okay, we've all seen Cecil B. DeMille's epic umpteen times on Easter and let's be clear: This is not a masterwork with subtle, Leanian shadings or...2004-03-05
Starring: Anne Baxter, Yul Brynner, Charlton Heston; MPAA Rating: G
Posted March 5 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sesame Street's' Maria is departing after more than 40 years
- Casting Net: Michael Ian Black and Missi Pyle sign on for 'Slash'
- Blood Orange releases Charleston-influenced song 'Do You See My Skin Through The Flames?'
- Rihanna has done something no one else has ever done
- Chumbawamba launched Kickstarter for I Get Knocked Down documentary
- Lifetime greenlights flick about Charles Manson gals
- 'Graceland' first look: Watch Johnny help Sid escape
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files': David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Beyoncé, LL Cool J, Taylor Swift & More!