Okay, we’ve all seen Cecil B. DeMille’s epic umpteen times on Easter and let’s be clear: This is not a masterwork with subtle, Leanian shadings or deep subtexts. It’s well-made, kitschy fun put across by special effects that retain a thrilling visual power and a cast that knew exactly how to serve up the ham. EXTRAS According to the sometimes over-reverential commentary, William Holden was nixed for Brynner, who looked better bald (good decision). Audrey Hepburn lost out to Baxter because her twiggy figure didn’t amply fill out the filigree costumes. Though Moses apparently stuttered in real life, DeMille decided it wouldn’t work to have Heston do the same (another good decision). And most fascinatingly of all, that’s popcorn falling on Brynner in the plague-of-hail sequence. How appropriate!
The Ten Commandments: Special Collector's Edition Okay, we've all seen Cecil B. DeMille's epic umpteen times on Easter and let's be clear: This is not a masterwork with subtle, Leanian shadings or...The Ten Commandments: Special Collector's EditionG Okay, we've all seen Cecil B. DeMille's epic umpteen times on Easter and let's be clear: This is not a masterwork with subtle, Leanian shadings or...2004-03-05
Starring: Anne Baxter, Yul Brynner, Charlton Heston; MPAA Rating: G
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!