Okay, we’ve all seen Cecil B. DeMille’s epic umpteen times on Easter and let’s be clear: This is not a masterwork with subtle, Leanian shadings or deep subtexts. It’s well-made, kitschy fun put across by special effects that retain a thrilling visual power and a cast that knew exactly how to serve up the ham. EXTRAS According to the sometimes over-reverential commentary, William Holden was nixed for Brynner, who looked better bald (good decision). Audrey Hepburn lost out to Baxter because her twiggy figure didn’t amply fill out the filigree costumes. Though Moses apparently stuttered in real life, DeMille decided it wouldn’t work to have Heston do the same (another good decision). And most fascinatingly of all, that’s popcorn falling on Brynner in the plague-of-hail sequence. How appropriate!
The Ten Commandments: Special Collector's Edition Okay, we've all seen Cecil B. DeMille's epic umpteen times on Easter and let's be clear: This is not a masterwork with subtle, Leanian shadings or...The Ten Commandments: Special Collector's EditionG Okay, we've all seen Cecil B. DeMille's epic umpteen times on Easter and let's be clear: This is not a masterwork with subtle, Leanian shadings or...2004-03-05
Starring: Anne Baxter, Yul Brynner, Charlton Heston; MPAA Rating: G
Posted March 5 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!