This year, you won’t have to wait until August for the latest ”Lord of the Rings” DVD. New Line announced that the ”Return of the King” DVD will be out on May 25. (With no installment due in theaters in December, there was no need to delay the release to whet fans’ appetites for the theatrical release of the next chapter.) The record-tying 11-Oscar picture will be released in a two-disc set that includes the 3-hour, 20-minute theatrical cut of the film and a disc of such extras as trailers and TV spots. Alas, you’ll have to wait until the end of the year for the special edition set, which will contain Peter Jackson’s four-hours-plus director’s cut. Further down the road, a boxed set of all three films, running more than 11 hours, is probably inevitable. By the way, we’d like to thank everyone in New Zealand for making these DVDs possible.
Posted March 6 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Maya and Marty': 5 thumbs up moments from NBC's variety show premiere
- 'SNL': Matthew McConaughey is a bad Lando in 'Star Wars' auditions
- 'Person of Interest’ death is TV’s latest lesbian fatality
- 'Biggest Loser' producers: Illegal drug use claims ‘without merit and false'
- Jay Z hits back at conservative Beyoncé critics in new Pusha T song
- 'Pitch Perfect 3' release date pushed back
- Gina Rodriguez fulfills fan's prom dream with her Golden Globes dress
- See The Voices Behind Your Favorite 'Finding Nemo' Characters
- The Best 'Bachelor' and 'Bachelorette' Jobs
- Disney Classics Making New Magic On Screen
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot