Eight years before a band of scrappy Americans bested the Soviet hockey machine in the 1980 Olympic game that inspired ”Miracle,” Brooklyn boy Bobby Fischer notched a similar victory, crushing the defending Russian champ Boris Spassky at the 21-game World Chess Championship in Reykjavik, Iceland. The Cold War showdown between the borderline-psycho, ”microchip-driven automaton” Fischer and ”the Mozart of chess” Spassky transfixed the world: For a time, chess manuals outsold romance novels in U.S. bookstores. Edmonds and Eidinow, authors of 2001’s ”Wittgenstein’s Poker,” shrewdly ignore the game’s eye-glazing, ”d3 to d4” techspeak (though the games aren’t as nail-biting as they should be) in favor of conspiracy theories, bad Bobby behavior, and international intrigue. Note to Hollywood: It’s ”Miracle” meets ”A Beautiful Mind.” Get on it.
Bobby Fischer Goes to War Eight years before a band of scrappy Americans bested the Soviet hockey machine in the 1980 Olympic game that inspired ''Miracle,'' Brooklyn boy Bobby...Bobby Fischer Goes to WarHistoryDavid Edmonds, John Eidinow Eight years before a band of scrappy Americans bested the Soviet hockey machine in the 1980 Olympic game that inspired ''Miracle,'' Brooklyn boy Bobby...2004-03-12
Genre: History; Author: David Edmonds, John Eidinow
Posted March 12 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!