As usual, the beachfront Independent Spirit Awards ceremony, held the day before the Oscars, allowed a handful of underdogs to have their moment in the sun before being underappreciated by the Academy. Lost in Translation was the big winner, picking up Best Feature, Best Director, Best Screenplay, and Best Male Lead for Bill Murray. ”Your head gets too big, but then it gets readjusted later,” he told EW after charming the audience with a droll speech (”I’d like to thank the people responsible for this film, but I don’t think they can handle it”). The ”Independent” part of the award’s name held special meaning for House of Sand and Fog’s Shohreh Aghdashloo. When she heard her name called for Best Supporting Female, the Iranian-born actress says she was flooded with memories of fleeing her native country’s revolution in 1978, ”driving to Europe and not even thinking about the consequences or the future.” Monster star/producer Charlize Theron, meanwhile, seemed happier about her group victory for Best First Feature than her Best Female Lead prize: ”I’ve felt a little spoiled with the acting awards. This is not a one-man show, you know?”
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' react: A modest proposal
- 'New Girl' boss on that season finale shocker--and what's next
- 'Law & Order: SVU' welcomes back familiar faces; get the scoop, watch a sneak peek
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!