As usual, the beachfront Independent Spirit Awards ceremony, held the day before the Oscars, allowed a handful of underdogs to have their moment in the sun before being underappreciated by the Academy. Lost in Translation was the big winner, picking up Best Feature, Best Director, Best Screenplay, and Best Male Lead for Bill Murray. ”Your head gets too big, but then it gets readjusted later,” he told EW after charming the audience with a droll speech (”I’d like to thank the people responsible for this film, but I don’t think they can handle it”). The ”Independent” part of the award’s name held special meaning for House of Sand and Fog’s Shohreh Aghdashloo. When she heard her name called for Best Supporting Female, the Iranian-born actress says she was flooded with memories of fleeing her native country’s revolution in 1978, ”driving to Europe and not even thinking about the consequences or the future.” Monster star/producer Charlize Theron, meanwhile, seemed happier about her group victory for Best First Feature than her Best Female Lead prize: ”I’ve felt a little spoiled with the acting awards. This is not a one-man show, you know?”
Posted March 12 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Barack Obama slams Donald Trump at DNC: 'We don’t look to be ruled'
- 'Con Man': Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion want a ‘Spectrum’ movie
- See President Obama's DNC intro video, narrated by Bryan Cranston
- Michael Keaton on 'Beetlejuice' sequel: 'It's possible that ship has sailed'
- 'Another Period' guest blog: Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on latest episode
- 'Barely Famous': Sara, Erin Foster on celebrity stalkers, TV industry
- Lenny Kravitz asks to 'Let Love Rule' for DNC performance
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels